Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Los Angeles,and I am looking for a engine for my 1976 Camaro(350).A good used one would be just fine for me.
Could someone please give some suggestion as to where I could find one?Because every place I call or go to is trying to charge me eight or nine houndred dollars for one,and I know that is to high.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Are you looking for an engine to rebuild or you looking for a good used one thats going to run nicely for you? The problem with buying a used engine and not rebuilding it, is short of tearing it back apart you really dont know what sort of condition its in. And more often than not upon tear down for inspection you find something that should be replaced and you end up needing to rebuild it anyways.

Try junk yards. Call around the wrecking places and see if they have any newer chevy trucks with body only damage. Bargain on the price. These prices are never set in stone. They are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Engines

Doc here:pimp:

It ALL Depends on what you want to do/spend....

Do you want a long block? or a short block?

Are your heads , intake manifold, and accessories good? (like alternators, Carb, starter, etc)

You can find a long block as low as $400.00 Ready to install in the local paper...Cheaper if you want to rebuild it before you put it in...You could probably get a short block for about half that...

How are your Mechanical skills? Can you undertake an Rebuild on your own? Do you have a place to do that...If not, or unsure...Your best bet is a "Runner" out of a wrecking yard...Or a re-manufactured engine...

I'm not sure about the LA area, But around here, in the Bay area..You Can find good Straight swap Runners..(The kind you can go to the yard ,check the miles, Start and run the engine, test it before they pull it for you) For around $350 to $450

On a used engine, your byfar better off rebuilding it before installing it...and I think is the better way to go...(if you can) So Figure $450 Engine (less for a Short block) and another $350 to $450 in parts and machine shop costs..

EBAY is a good place to find Remans starting around $1500 and up...These are a good choice since they are ready to run with your accessories, and come with a warranty...You just have to be careful where you buy it from (location) Cuz Shipping can run the bill up...

I believe Pic&Pull offers "ANY ENGINE" $150. you find it and you pull it...If you have one close to you. (that would cut the price way down)

Cheap Used Cars with good running engines is another way to go...Except you have a body to dispose of after the swap..

So , Wrecking yards, EBAY, Parts and ACC in the local newspaper and Shopping news type of papers, used Cheap cars (usually found in someones driveway with a "for sale" sign on it, or the classifieds..Are all options

Doc :pimp:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts