Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am inclined to say "yes" as you already have a mild cam in her.. You should tell us a bit more about the engine and kinda what you are up to in order to get a more defined response(s).. Compression is ?? Vaccum guage on her reads ?? and so on and so forth.. Had a 2bbl Rochester on a 454ci mild cam
pulling mebbee 7000 to 8000 lbs at 85mph.. Carb never missed a beat and in fact still have the setup..
T.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the bug !

Im "green to the game " so please forgive me if I don't list info correctly. Trying to get my 61 chevy truck dialed in and I got a a 454 with closed chamber heads and a comp cam with the flowing specs:
gross valve lift .544 / .547
[email protected] .050 226/236
lobe lift .3200 / .3220
lobe separation 112.0
currently has 780 Holley 2bbl on it but continue sly has flooding issue's ! I put a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 5psi and tryed to adjust floats with no luck! its flooding even with float adjustments down a quarter turn from bottom and still have gas flooding. When I open side weep screw it gushes out ! So I figure I need someone else to look at it ? since I am still learning . I don't plan on keeping the 650 permanently but am dying to drive my new toy ! It's completely rebuilt bottom up and I haven't even driven 5 miles on it yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You probably got something caught between needle and seat. Teflon tape maybe?

truckboy61 said:
Im "green to the game " so please forgive me if I don't list info correctly. Trying to get my 61 chevy truck dialed in and I got a a 454 with closed chamber heads and a comp cam with the flowing specs:
lobe lift .3200 / .3220
lobe separation 112.0
currently has 780 Holley 2bbl on it but continue sly has flooding issue's ! I put a fuel pressure regulator and set it to 5psi and tryed to adjust floats with no luck! its flooding even with float adjustments down a quarter turn from bottom and still have gas flooding. When I open side weep screw it gushes out ! So I figure I need someone else to look at it ? since I am still learning . I don't plan on keeping the 650 permanently but am dying to drive my new toy ! It's completely rebuilt bottom up and I haven't even driven 5 miles on it yet.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
truckboy61 said:
lobe lift .3200 / .3220
lobe separation 112.0
780 2bbl :confused: , You need to get the floats right adjust them to where the fuel is at the bottom of the site hole, And you probably have dirt or something in the needle valve and seat. And it will run fine at the bottom but will fall out when you start getting in it upper rpm.JMO.....Cole

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can remove each needle and seat from the top of the carb, turn top most screw counter clockwise about 1/2 turn while holding nut w/5/8 wrench. Once you get the set screw broke loose turn the (5/8 wrench) nut which you can probably turn by hand at this point and screw the needle and seat out and inspect it.
When re-installing the needle and seat screw it almost all the way in but leave enough threads to put the nut on the flats. this will have float setting real low. Then you can slowly raise level till it runs out site plug hole on side.
Turning the nut clockwise lowers float level, CCwise raises it. You can set it by gently releasing the set screw a little at a time while moving the nut, as to much release on the set screw can cause gas to spray out.
Or set with engine turned off or electric pump not running, this way you can turn it a couple flats at a time, crank engine or turn on pump and check till you reach desired level.
Just remember if level is too high, until the fuel in the bowl is used up or level drops by physically draining it or using the pumps to squirt it out, it will run out plug.

truckboy61 said:
sorry for the mishap how would I clean it out correctly ? Do I need to remove from engine ?

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A 650 may cause trouble getting the idle right. As it will take more throttle opening to get enough air at idle, and this may lead to the throttle blades open past the transfer slots. This makes the carb run very rich at idle and the idle mixture screws non-responsive.

there are cures to this problem (drill front blades, crack open secondarys, or add more ignition timing) but just be aware of this potential problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.