Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went to adjust my valve lash on my engine after about 3000 miles. I watched this video for valve lash adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMYWLMAzao

The only problem is my cam must be a lot more aggressive than the one comp is using. And the base circle was just not quite right using this method.

So after frustration I just abandoned the EOIC method complacently and watched the lifter go down and back up till it stopped moving and check it several times.

So what’s the deal? Anybody have this issue before? It’s my first solid roller engine so any help is awesome.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My balancer is marked every 90 degrees.
Here's my lash sequence, starts at TDC on the compression stroke, rotates 90 degrees at a time thru 2 revolutions of the crank.
SBC w/ 18436572 firing order...

TDC.......#2 intake, #8 exh
90 deg....#1 intake, #4 exh
180 deg..#8 intake, #3 exh
270 deg..#4 intake, #6 exh
TDC.......#3 intake, #5 exh
90 deg....#6 intake, #7 exh
180 deg..#5 intake, #2 exh
270 deg..#7 intake, #1 exh

I have the above written in yellow paint pen on the top of the stud girdles.

·
Registered
79 Posts
or mark the balancer every 45, start at tdc. 18436572 is firing order so at 0 do 1, at 45 do 8 , 90 do 4 etc. it will take 2 revolution of crank to do em all. for me its less confusing.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,091 Posts
I use the EOIC method on everything I build. There is no cam aggressive enough that it won't work on.

·
More for Less Racer
19,957 Posts
I use the EOIC method on everything I build. There is no cam aggressive enough that it won't work on.
I agree, this is the only true fool proof method. The more aggressive a cam gets, the more likely other methods are to have an error like doing lash with lobe starting into the lash clearance take-up ramp.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone I will try the EOIC method again in 3000 miles. They way I did it took quite a while because I check the lash by turning the engine over 3 times checking each time till I felt confident it was good.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update and thanks again everyone for the help.

I did the lash this time to cold settings only because working on a hot engine in the summer just sucks. I took off the stud girdle this time and that made life much easier. After that everything was easy to see and the entire process was done in about 45 min. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
14,023 Posts
Well I went to adjust my valve lash on my engine after about 3000 miles. I watched this video for valve lash adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gMYWLMAzao

The only problem is my cam must be a lot more aggressive than the one comp is using. And the base circle was just not quite right using this method.

So after frustration I just abandoned the EOIC method complacently and watched the lifter go down and back up till it stopped moving and check it several times.

So what’s the deal? Anybody have this issue before? It’s my first solid roller engine so any help is awesome.
Yes the EOIC method can be difficult, if not impossible, with a long duration cam. I don't use it, I consider it something for flat rate shops to push work out quickly.

Bogie

·
Living In The Past
554 Posts
Yes the EOIC method can be difficult, if not impossible, with a long duration cam. I don't use it, I consider it something for flat rate shops to push work out quickly.

Bogie
I find it quick and easy if I follow the firing order and thought it was the 'foolproof' method. All the intakes then all the exhausts, engine rotates only two times. Curious what method you use.

Duke

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
?????????

I have found this to be the most foolproof way to adjust the lifters, bolt the valve covers on and not have to worry about having the lash off for break in on flat tappet cams. Also have used it on roller cams. Its worked just fine for me on cams in the upper 240's @ .050. I have never had to take a valve cover back off on hydraulics. My two cents, FWIW. Nolan

·
Registered
248 Posts
X10000.........................

If your not used to setting valves this way it takes a bit to get used to doing it.
Once you have it mastered, there will be no question you have done it correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts