Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has gone through the EPA and State Highway Patrol certification / testing process for a homebuilt or kit vehicle.

I've checked out their web sites and just sent a letter requesting more info, but it looks like there's not a lot of guidance - you bring your finished car and its either go or no-go.

That seems a little late to make changes that could affect the outcome.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
As I have mentioned before, California legislature must have been smoking Leftie Luckys at the time but they passed an extremely hot rod friendly law a couple of years ago allowing a car to be registered as a car built in the year it most closely resembles. Thus you can build a 2004 Gibbons '32, plop in a '58 283 and smog it accordingly!! Can't comment on your state's laws but they have to be codified somewhere to be enforced so keep drilling through the bureaucracy ( I know it makes you want to go postal but you must persevere) until you find a bureaucrat who will lift a finger to help you.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the problem, at least in Ohio, is that you have to use a "certified combination" in order to qualify for emissions under the original vehicle title.

I'm considering putting a newer engine/transmission in a vehicle that would have to pass emissions with its existing system. If I stuck to a bone-stock combo from a late model, with all the control systems intact, I could continue to title the car as original.

If I deviate in any way from a "certified combination", then, as I understand it, the vehicle gets tossed into the homebuilt/kit car category. From an emissions standpoint, this isn't so bad - whatever year the engine is sets the emission standards I have to meet, but then it complicates things from an insurance perspective because I'd have to insure the car as a homebuilt.

More research is needed on my part. I was just hoping someone on the board has gone through it, even with a Cobra kit or something, so I could get a feel for the process.

I've also put together a letter to the Ohio EPA with what I have in mind described to see what they recommend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts