Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to make sure this isn't going to be a problem. I have my project stripped to bare metal and primed with a 2-part epoxy (T-Rex). I plan to scuff it up, apply 3M Platinum Select Filler which is an easy-sand Bondo (company claims it will stick to cured epoxy), get the worst of the straightening out of the way, and re-prime with the epoxy over that. Then I plan to move on from there to the 2K filler coats, etc. The second coat of epoxy is to seal up any scratches or burn-through to bare metal that is likely to occur during sanding. I'd rather not find out it's all going to fall off. Is this plan going to bite me?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As long as your first coat of epoxy is good, and your filler sticks to that, you should be able to just Prime over the filler. No need for a second coat of epoxy. The way you can tell if something is stuck or not, is if it will feather edge back with 80 grit it is sticking just fine. If it will not feather edge with 80 grit, and wants to keep peeling up then you have a problem.

But you should be okay. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't use epoxy much, only if I'm painting over chrome!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue is that it's pretty much a given that there's going to be bare metal exposed when sanding the first course of the lite filler. It would be nice to go straight to the 2k poly after the rough straightening. But I don't think that provides the same level of corrosion protection that a layer of epoxy provides.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts