Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
3,214 Posts
Have never tried it. Will need to make sure you have the right products for the temps you are dealing with. You will need the reducer and hardner for that product. I think you will end up with about 1 1/2 gallons sprayable for about $125.00 or so. Also make sure you use the proper mixing ratios.

I personally use SPI epoxy, and it works out to about $135 or so (plus shipping) for 2 gallons+ sprayable.

Aaron

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh thats not a bad deal. when you say sprayable that means including the reducer and stuff like that correct? SPI....where do you get that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just wanted to get some epoxy primer that i could order (no paint stores close at all) and that was fairly inexpensive...I've done my initial filler work and most of the car is bare metal. Essentially, i think it just needs a degreaser/wipedown then spray with some epoxy then start blocking it out. Whats the most affordable route...be it sherwin-automotive, SPI, or whatever....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranchero_65 said:
You might want to check out Kirker . @ spray able gal to your door for about $85.00 . I've been using it for 2 years now and very happy with it . Sands real well also if needed.
http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirker/primers.html

Take Care
Earl
sounds good to me. i dono why but i get a good vibe looking at that kirker website. so i should just call them up and order with my credit card? will i need item numbers or will they know what i mean when i say "gallon of epoxy primer and activator"?

also, should i be getting black or gray....the car is either going to be black or charcoal (sorta dark) gray....I've heard black primer will allow you to use less paint but i dono how true that is...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Shifty, I use the gray but thats me . If I were to be painting using black then I would use the black primer. A gal of primer and activator will give you 2 gal total . It need no thinning and I use a 1.4 tip when I spray it . You can use it also as a sealer by thinning it with urethane thinner 15 to 25 % They have a deal on ebay where the primer and activator shipped to your door for about $85.00 . thats what I do when I need it . If you look at the fiberglass help post I posted , the hood there I used 80 grit to strip sprayed the epoxy primer let it set over night and the next day I just mixed the paint and shot it . I wouldn't normally do it but it was just a test to help me decide what color I wanted. It turned out just as good as if I sanded it with 400 grit before I painted it and I was surprised of the out come .

Take Care
Earl
www.ranchero65.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts