Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 468 BBC from a guy. I was wordering about how much HP i can expect from it. Here's what i know is in the motor.

.060 over 454 2 bolt block
complete Eagle rotating assmy- Forged crank, forged pistons, rods
10.2 to 1 compression
781 heads- very little port/polish work, basically stock 2.06 / 1.88
292H magnum hyd F/T Comp Cam
750 Deman dbl pumper
Hooker headers

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I just bought a 468 BBC from a guy. I was wordering about how much HP i can expect from it. Here's what i know is in the motor.

.060 over 454 2 bolt block
complete Eagle rotating assmy- Forged crank, forged pistons, rods
10.2 to 1 compression
781 heads- very little port/polish work, basically stock 2.06 / 1.88
292H magnum hyd F/T Comp Cam
750 Deman dbl pumper
Hooker headers
What intake? Using long tube headers you should be all over 475 crank hp, possibly more. Many engines will make 500 hp using a similar combo but using bigger carb (830 cfm-plus).

The cam is going to bias the powerband upwards. Idle vacuum will be low- too low for power brakes. Idle will be choppy, most guys don't mind that part. Needs more stall speed if AT (around 3500 rpm for street, more for max acceleration/drags). Needs a lot of initial timing as well (18-22 degrees BTDC baseline, adjust from there). Setting up the distributor timing curve is important.

Depending on the rest of the combo (vehicle weight, how it'll be used, rear gear ratio, stall speed if AT just to name a few), the engine may be more drivable/enjoyable using a cam w/less duration and quicker valve action.

Porting the heads and adding 2.19 x 1.88 valves could help, especially if you keep that cam.

To get 10.2:1 CR takes a 20cc-plus dome, even w/a tight quench.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
The heads are the weak link in your engine.I used oval ports on my 80 Camaro,modded with 2.19/1.88 valves I took out of my LS-7. with victor oval port intake/830 holley,Z-55 isky solid cam,headers. The car ran a best of 11.93 and weighed 3615 with out driver. NOTE: when I took off the performer and swapped in the victor oval port,it picked up 4/10s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy told me it should be 425-450 HP at the crank.....so the question is...what wud be the best intake/carb setup to get the max performance out of it....based on leaving the rest of the components alone(heads,cam, pistons, crank, etc)
One guy told me to put a tunnel ram on it, the next guy says a Weiand Stealth ???

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The guy told me it should be 425-450 HP at the crank.....so the question is...what wud be the best intake/carb setup to get the max performance out of it....based on leaving the rest of the components alone(heads,cam, pistons, crank, etc)
One guy told me to put a tunnel ram on it, the next guy says a Weiand Stealth ???
The power range will be in the midrange and top end range. A Victor Jr would best suit the camshaft. Like was suggested a 830 or 850 would be a better carburetor to use for max performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.