Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 El Camino and a 1971 Chevelle. These two projects take all of my time and most of my money. Sometimes I listen to the idiots at the parts and the paint stores and get really bad information. I hope someone can tell me what I can do to fix my latest headache. We sanded the entire 1980 El Camino down to bare metal and I let one of those previously mentioned idiots sell me some NASON 491-17 etch primer. I still need to fill some small dents with body filler. I bought Evercoat Rage filler. The Evercoat Rage is not sticking to the etch primer very well. Should we sand off all of the etch primer and then apply the body filler to the bare metal or should we spray an epoxy primer on to the bare metal and then apply the body filler to the epoxy primer? ( I will let you guess what I want to do the idiot who sold me the etch primer).

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Although etching primer has its uses...It'll never work that way,I learnd that lesson 20yrs ago.It'll wash right off with laquer thinner and the bondo will pop right off with a putty knife.Resand the body with 80 or 180 da then epoxy prime,then resand that and bondo :thumbup: I use SPI Epoxy,its the best out there and well worth the wait if it has to be orderd if you have good b/w skills you wont need any other primer it sands GREAT and with a white guide coat you can get it nice and straight ,when reduced 20% it makes a fantastic sealer too....I use it at my shop on every car... :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
deadbodyman said:
Although etching primer has its uses...It'll never work that way,I learnd that lesson 20yrs ago.It'll wash right off with laquer thinner and the bondo will pop right off with a putty knife.Resand the body with 80 or 180 da then epoxy prime,then resand that and bondo :thumbup: I use SPI Epoxy,its the best out there and well worth the wait if it has to be orderd if you have good b/w skills you wont need any other primer it sands GREAT and with a white guide coat you can get it nice and straight ,when reduced 20% it makes a fantastic sealer too....I use it at my shop on every car... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Listen to dbm, SPI epoxy is the correct product :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
deadbodyman said:
What 2k do you prefer Vince? I like SPI but its a little thick,never used thier high build...BTW, Welcome to the site,Arizona
The only 2K I have any experience with is PPG K36, yea I know it's been out for ages but it worked good for me, and it is a little pricey. Had I known about SPI 2K pprimer at the time I would have gone with it.

Vince

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
302 Z28 said:
The only 2K I have any experience with is PPG K36, yea I know it's been out for ages but it worked good for me, and it is a little pricey. Had I known about SPI 2K pprimer at the time I would have gone with it.

Vince
I havent used ppg fora long time .when you say pricey how much is it?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Whoa,That is high,200.00 for 5 qts. but worth it for piece of mind...I use to use euro prime till I couldnt afford it anymore THATS expensive.you should like SPI it sands ez and under 200.00 for 2 sprayable gallons thier sealer is also a good primer ,I dont like it as a sealer though....

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
The thing is, SPI ,IS a high end primer, even Better than most,so is their clear,but its priced so a working man can make a little money, Spi just isnt as greedy as the big guys, not yet any ways., But their hot line cant be beat, Every time I called I talked to Barry ,the owner. Mostly I just called with dumb questions but hes always VERY polite and friendly..That tips the scales in his favor.I'll never use anything else if I can get it from him.. :thumbup: :thumbup: Did I say I like the stuff ? :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
deadbodyman said:
The thing is, SPI ,IS a high end primer, even Better than most,so is their clear,but its priced so a working man can make a little money, Spi just isnt as greedy as the big guys, not yet any ways., But their hot line cant be beat, Every time I called I talked to Barry ,the owner. Mostly I just called with dumb questions but hes always VERY polite and friendly..That tips the scales in his favor.I'll never use anything else if I can get it from him.. :thumbup: :thumbup: Did I say I like the stuff ? :D
Ah come on DBM, tell us how you really feel for Barry's products. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.