Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I used the oil filter adaptor from my old 305 on my 388. In 77 they used a different filter on the bird, NOT the S25 you guys are used to. So anyway, i wasn't thinking when I got the filter, and I bought an s25 STP for it and plugged it in. ran it for a few minutes yesterday to move the oil around, then shut it down. Well, I left with a friend to go running and noticed a little oil by the back tires at like 1am last night, so I mopped it up with a towel. Came back to check on it today and the car was gone. Note in my apartment, landlord REAALLLY pissed. Don't bring your car back he says. Now he's calling his insurance company and has documented the damage with the city (whatever that means). Car was towed. Charge of 105 dollars.

So I guess my landlord will talk to me on tuesday about what is wrong with the lot. He's used the oil soaking stuff to clean it up. He says its pretty serious, and I'm sure it is, but I think by tuesday he'll realize that it wasn't as much oil as he thought it was (maybe half a quart or a quart).

Well I feel like a fool. Just goes to show you that attention to detail can go a long way.

Please save your digs, I'm already having a crap day.

K

·
107 Posts
The guy seems to be getting a little to mad over half a quart of oil. whats the big deal if there some oil on the ground?

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it looked like a lot because it spread out (you know how oil does) soa bout a good 4x4 or 4x6 foot patch with oil on it. But it doesn't take a whole aweful about of oil to creat that much area.

K

·
107 Posts
yeah i guess. Reminds me of last month when the fuel pump went at the drive through at mc donalds and I had to push my truck up the drive through then I when I was changing the pump gas leaked everywhere. it smelled real bad every person that drove past gave me this dirty look.:drunk:

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
its his lot...so he made a complaint to the culprit

motor oil and asphalt don't go well together...oil will stain concrete but can be cleaned up but on asphalt I think it has to be washed off with soap and water. How would any oil get to the ground? If its in the lease you can be help responsible for the damage if any to the parking lot. Maybe renters insurance may cover it...it wasn done deliberately just and accident...RIGHT?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
I would definately be re-reading the contract....I would also be looking at everyone else's parking spaces(including the landlords) I could almost guarantee that your car wouldn't be the only one in the lot with oil stains....If it isn't the only one...make sure that the landlord knows this and either have him reimburse you for the tow via cash or taken off the rent OR has all the other offenders cars towed also!
Later,
WEIMER

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm all the lease says with regard to parking is that the landlord isn't responsable if your stuff gets damaged or ripped off.

I thought that too, it sucks that it got on the asphalt, but it won't make it to the ground! How thick is the asphalt in those parkinglots, 4-6 inches? That and I thought I understood that asphalt is a petrolium based compound... eventually it should diffuse the oil throughout itself.

Such is the life of a hotrodder, eh? I need to focus on getting a proper place to work on and store my ride, this is getting rediculous.

Weimer said:
I would definately be re-reading the contract....I would also be looking at everyone else's parking spaces(including the landlords) I could almost guarantee that your car wouldn't be the only one in the lot with oil stains....If it isn't the only one...make sure that the landlord knows this and either have him reimburse you for the tow via cash or taken off the rent OR has all the other offenders cars towed also!
Later,
WEIMER
well in his defense, theres a difference between an old car that drips a few drops here and there, and the pretty big puddle I left under my car. 4x6 feet or so man, it was a pretty good slick.

K

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
EPA is dispatching a bio-hazardous waste team as we speak. Environmentalist wackos are on their way. You will be executed with nonpolluting rubberbands at 30cm.

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
All that fuss over a little oil, had your car towed, what a jerk! I'm sure he knew whose car it was.

Have you ever seen those big plastic bulk oil tubs that hold 330 gallons of oil? I had a guy on a fork lift pull one of those of the end of my truck on the shoulder of a highway in front of the implement dealer that was getting the oil. His chain was stuck in the pallet and he tried to jerk on it with the forklift, dropped it right on the ground, it split in two and 330 gallons of oil really makes a BIG MESS. I got somebody to sign the ticket and I was out of there before the EPA showed up. I'll bet that guy got fired.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
killerformula said:
hmm all the lease says with regard to parking is that the landlord isn't responsable if your stuff gets damaged or ripped off.
Your lease should have a clause concerning vehicles. Basically says all your cars have to be fully operational. Some leases require that all cars present be liscensed and insured as well. You have to abide by the lease and so does the landlord.

Unless your lease clearly states that your car will be towed for leaking he can't legally do what he did. He should pay the bill and give you a lift to go get your car. If he doesn't, you can threaten to have him charged with auto-theft and bust his wallet in court.

Larry

THIS POST WAS MADE IN JEST. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gawd!!!!!!!!

Moved it out of the impound and changed the filter...............

FIVE FREAKING QUARTS LOW.

SOMEBODY DRIVE TO MICHIGAN AND PUT MY STUPID * OUT OF BUSINESS.

K:nono: :rolleyes: :pain: :boxing: :smash:

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Stacked rubber gasket?

Not like I never did that before.:D

Your apartment deductable should be the only thing at loss here, landlords love to take the deductable. The tow sucks and the guys obviously a little trigger happy (too many late night parties? :) ).

From now on park with the exhaust facing his apartment and be sure to let it warm up at 7:00AM on high idle for awhile while "Lets Lynch the landlord" by the Dead Kennedys or Presidents of the United States blasts from your car stereo...windows open to defog the glass.:welcome:

Leave it on repeat.

Just kidding of course, wouldn't want to get the boot.;)

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
how did you loose 5qts of oil?

I understand you may have installed the wrong filter...right? Do you mean 5qts leaked out when you fired up the engine after the oil change?

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm a bit boggled too. THere wasn't that much on the ground! Maybe it came out during the tow? Seems impossible...

Perhaps when I moved it out of the tow lot it spat some out too... good thing I run an 8 qt system...

K

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
lm*o.

i know most leases will specify something to the effect of "No automobile repair allowed" My lawyer informed me that included changing the oil.....

i hate a sorry * landlord.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so I saw some dufus and his fat girlfriend poking around the cleanup today. Got sheepish when he saw me and quicly put the broom down and went inside (in the entrance that was further to walk to, but not next to me).

Guess we know who called on my car!

Now I just have to figure a way to cost him about 110 dollars...

K

1 - 20 of 31 Posts