Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering something... i have a 1979 malibu 355 motor... etc etc etc... i have 3 inch pipes that run from headers to mufflers and 2 and a half inch pipe from mufflers on out to rear of the car.... the mufflers are dynomax... but i want the car louder... would it make it louder if i cut the exaust off from the mufflers... its loud now but not as loud as i'd like it... thanx

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
fast79malibu said:
i was wondering something... i have a 1979 malibu 355 motor... etc etc etc... i have 3 inch pipes that run from headers to mufflers and 2 and a half inch pipe from mufflers on out to rear of the car.... the mufflers are dynomax... but i want the car louder... would it make it louder if i cut the exaust off from the mufflers... its loud now but not as loud as i'd like it... thanx
Not really. I suggest you get some of those ridiculous Flowmasters in 3 inch or bigger and use turndowns.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Dynomax bullets will get the job done. They are little 16" glasspacks. Completely wide open and they bark really nice. I have them on a mopar 318.
On my motor I plan on flowtech warlocks which have a cutout built in.
Other than that the only other option is cutouts. Those electric ones are super nice.

·
Smile if you know Jesus
515 Posts
I have duel 3 chamber Flowmaster's on my truck. I don't really care much for Flowmasters but they were on the truck when I bought it. They are 2.25 or 2.5 in and out.

I cut the pipes off after the mufflers (so they wouldn't get hung up on anything when off roading) and it is a lot louder. I have to crank the stereo just to hear it when crusing down the road.

I made some down 45* and out 45* turn downs to quiet it down a little (my exhaust is 2 ft. + from the ground).

I made an X pipe setup with 3" Moroso Spiral Flow's on my Bird comming out in front of the rears. They're loud. No baffels or packing. I have 3.5" cutouts for when I want to be real loud and let the 502 breath a little better.

·
Registered
65 Posts
when i was working on my trucks exhaust i had to drive to get more parts half way through, so the exhuast was coming out right under the cab right after the cat. it sounded pretty cool! like a really really big dirt bike. anwya/ what are these cut out thinngs you speek of? als o does anyone know any ways to temporaily silence an exhaust? like some kind of silencer? my girlfriends neibors started complaining...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cut outs allow you to run a stock exhaust and when you want to drag race you open the cut outs.you can either buy the manual style which would require you to mount a cable like that used on a lawn mower throttle, or you can get high tech and get the solenoid operated kind, they run on battery voltage and open and close with the flip of a switch. What ever you do take your time ask questions and do it safely and if you think something MIGHT be unsafe rest assured it is. Try jc whitney
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Search?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&sku=exhaust+cut+outs
click on this link, jc whitney can be a good source for cheap parts. remember they are cheap parts and should only be used to get by till you can afford better. :D :cool: Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.