Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've had this leak down where my collector to my header and my exhaust meets. I put a new donut, new gasket and still it is wanting to backfire. Could i just be back-pressure or do i still have a leak?

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Da. Your the only one that could tell us if you have a leak.
A leak will not cause a backfire.

Troy

·
2,643 Posts
Yes, check the dwell first.

Troy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My timing is already at about 10. Rpm at about 700. What about adjusting my air and fuel ratio.

If timing and rpm isn't correct, what should it be. Engines a 77 chevy 350 edelbrock intake and carb and an rv cam?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i only does it when I'm in park or neutral reeving it. When i'm in drive and i let off the gas there is little pops out the exhaust pipes.

·
2,643 Posts
Set the timing to where it runs the best. Adj. the AF to where it idles the best. and CHECK the dwell.

Troy

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yub350 said:
No i only does it when I'm in park or neutral reeving it. When i'm in drive and i let off the gas there is little pops out the exhaust pipes.
Ya probly got exaust leak iff ya spark timing and fuel mixtures are correct,, unless you haxe a bad wire somewhere,,..

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure my wires on the distributer are hooked up right. I got the order from summit. But if anyone else knows the correct order and is working for them i could check it and would be appreciated. Its a 77 350 and i just need to know were the Numbers are on the distributer.

·
2,643 Posts
Sounds like you need a shop manual. Any one who is going to work on there own car, and has no knowledge about it should get a book and study it.

Troy

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Popping out the exhaust when you let off the gas is the most common effect (in my experience) of an exhaust leak. Check your collector gaskets again as well as manifold gaskets! Be sure they are sealed. Intake leaks pop upon acceleration and idle whereas most small exhaust leaks pop upon deceleration.

·
Get out the ducktape...
213 Posts
the guy on "Trucks" recently showed what it sounds like you need. It is a pair of clamps that fit the exhaust connection at yer collector. A clamp goes on each side of the connection and keeps it snug to prevent leaks and blowouts right there. Shouldnt take much to find the company that makes them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
every things brand new and i have the book on it, but some suggested that the plugs might be on there wrong. so if anyone has a pic of the fireing order i can see if mine matches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts