1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevrolet
Impala SS
327 cu

I spotted a exhaust manifold leak on drivers side. Just a few basic questions!

• Will I have to disconnect and remove the entire manifold in order to replace the gaskets?
  • Is it recommended to replace the exhaust flange gasket?
  • Any other beginner tips?

·
fat tire
505 Posts
if they are stock gaskets you will have to remove the two center bolts. the two on each end , just loosen and the gasket should slide UP and off. i suggest using a soft aluminum header gasket for replacement
as far as the flange gasket if it aint broke dont fix it has always been my thought

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

Get these , no more leaks ! Remove the manifold so it can be cleaned & inspected for cracks /burn outs , use the steel donut gaskets for manifold to pipe connection ! Replace the manifold studs & use the proper bronze long nuts on the manifold flange . use never- seize on all fasteners .
Product Font Wood Screenshot Software

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Chevrolet
Impala SS
327 cu

I spotted a exhaust manifold leak on drivers side. Just a few basic questions!

• Will I have to disconnect and remove the entire manifold in order to replace the gaskets?
  • Is it recommended to replace the exhaust flange gasket?
  • Any other beginner tips?
You ‘spotted’ like in saw or in heard.
You don’t normally see exhaust leaks but can hear them easily.
Where did you spot this leak?

·
Registered
109 Posts
My SBC expert claims there's no such part as a good exhaust manifold gasket. He cleans the exhaust port surface on the head and on the exhaust manifold with a file and bolts them up without any gaskets; no leaks down the road.

FWIW many of the later SBC exhaust manifolds once removed can't be reattached without a spreader to stretch the casting enough for the bolt holes to align.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I didn’t need the spreader to get the old manifolds on my original iron SBC heads, but had to use one to get it installed on my aluminum heads. NAPA stocked the tool in their stores and it was fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
My SBC expert claims there's no such part as a good exhaust manifold gasket. He cleans the exhaust port surface on the head and on the exhaust manifold with a file and bolts them up without any gaskets; no leaks down the road.

FWIW many of the later SBC exhaust manifolds once removed can't be reattached without a spreader to stretch the casting enough for the bolt holes to align.

jack vines
In an ideal world , maybe , in this world , on old equipment , yea ,OK :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
2old2fast has the right idea. It is always best to change out the entire gasket now instead of later. Why do it twice or three times. It is fairly simple and you should have enough room to slip the new ones in. I like to use the more heavy duty style with metal inside. Fel Pro or Mr Gasket with a little Ultra Copper works every time IMHO.

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final piece of the puzzle, install of manifold complete, now I’m under the car reconnecting the exhaust flange with new gasket!

I’m working under the car, so bolts are a little difficult to install! Engine is a 327 cu, I was able to get 2 bolts started but the 3rd one difficult! Is there a certain bolt pattern install or tricks?
Thanks for all the help! 👍🏼

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
Sometimes it works out to better to slide the bolt into the manifold and hold it close enough to the head to get the threads started a turn or so and while it's loose, slide in the others and once it all started, run them down and snug them up. Leaving thme loose will sometimes give you just enough wiggle room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts