Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my sbc 350 powered, tube chassis, '69 Volkswagen Squareback project, I have an exhaust question. How close can my exhaust manifold be to ny upper control arms without the worry of having bushing failure due to manifold heat? I am running Mustang II front suspension with tubular control arms. Also, opinions on flexible pipe from manifold to exhaust pipe. I am cramped for space and don't have a wide area to work in.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
On my sbc 350 powered, tube chassis, '69 Volkswagen Squareback project, I have an exhaust question. How close can my exhaust manifold be to ny upper control arms without the worry of having bushing failure due to manifold heat? I am running Mustang II front suspension with tubular control arms. Also, opinions on flexible pipe from manifold to exhaust pipe. I am cramped for space and don't have a wide area to work in.
Flex tubing only lasts a year or so, the hotter it runs the shorter it lasts. I suppose it's OK to use given it's other short coming which is the introduction of a lot of turbulance to the passing exhaust stream. If you use it you need to consider that it will demand frequent replacement so you need to plan the space to get tools and your hands in there.

You can actually get pretty close to the bushings, the use of insulation and heat shields can be used to provide more isolation from the hot pipes.

Bogie

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
Cobb up(fabricate for those who like to sound fancy lol) a heat shield out of aluminum.Maybe back it in header wrap material or something else flame proof.Not hard to work around.
Wanna talk clearance problems......................I had to bang a dent in my frame rail to clear the fuel pump on my SBC powered Volvo PV,hope it never goes cause the engine has to come out to change it lol.
Another idea for ya on the exhuast exits is,I have a set of manifolds that someone cut off the exit and plated it and welded 2 1/4 bungs out the sides to exit the exhuast out over the frame rail,maybe you could do the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Polyurothane bushings put up with more heat that the rubber ones. I think the best answers thus far is the heat shield ideas. Not so sure about alum thou ? {sorry} Its true it cools off faster, but it also heats up faster. Of course no matter the material used if you have some sort of air moving across it {road breeze} I am sure either would work fine. Also if space is at a premium, bolt/screw mount it for later removal if needed. Header wrap is also a great idea. Maybe utilize both ? I have 2 header tubes that are within 1 inch on my upper control arm bushings. Been that way for 30K miles. No issues yet ! Poly bushings, NO wrap, NO heat shield ! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exhaust

Thanks for all of the replies. Attached, are some pics of what I have so far. I was planning on running a set of exhaust manifolds I have, 1987 - 1992 Camaro/Firebird 5.0, if I can get my clearance OK

Attachments

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
fiberglass ?

I ve used the 1 inch thich compressed fiberglass insulation board used in some Heating -Air condition ducts very good heat shield. also you could use a 2 layer aluminum heat shield with at least 1/4 in air space. You could do some bone yard scrounging for different factory exhausts manifolds. I can't remember what Monza V8 manifolds look like. Also I saw one set that had been angle milled to slightly tilt them closer to the engine block. Also towards the end of Studebaker production they were using chevy engines. and I ve heard the checker taxi cabs used GM engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.