Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently running open longtube headers. I've got a big lumpy cam and its earth shakingly loud, too the point where im setting off car alarms when I drive by some high-end vehicles. I'd like it to be a little quieter while still sounding throaty and testosterone filled. I don't mind the loud, im just worried about my neighbors and the cops. Which exhaust setup would offer better performance/make my car run more efficiently? I have a 3.5 flange. I was thinking some old school glass packs or cherry bomb exhaust. How many feet of pipe should I run, etc etc? :evil: I dont mind it sounding a little obnoxious I just dont want the cold air warping my valves when winter arrives in the south

·
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
2,857 Posts
"upon shutdown, cold air can reach the valves and warp them especially if they are open (unseated from the head)." (thats an old wives tale) in my opinion!

Can't happen!!

overheating warps valves, caused from a lean condition! Not cold air reaching the valves!

Running off a header or open exhaust manifolds or zoom type headers or even right off the head exhaust ports won't warp valves from cooling too fast!
Glass packs bolted right to the header collectors would work to mellow the sound so would any muffler or resinators or chambered exhaust or just a long collector extention!
Jester

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
LOL about the "warped valves" wives tail. :D

Glasspacks/Cherry Bombs are notorious power killers(30-50HP), some of the worst style mufflers ever made as far as flow is concerned unless you get them with a big core, like Dynomax Race Bullets....but they don't do much to lower sound levels, only a few decibels.

Use a 3.5" to 3" reducer on the header flange, then run a 3" exhaust and something like Magnaflow, Borla, or Jones mufflers.

full systems with tailpipes to the rear bumper is my preference, I hate dumped under the car before the axle "Jethro Billy Bob style". turns the floor into a bass drum and soot's up everything under the car.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
OK, about the warped valves. What if, (I've never seen or heard of it done), but what if someone ran it with NO exhaust manifold/headers? Hate to think of how it would sound, but then could it warp a valve?

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
OK, about the warped valves. What if, (I've never seen or heard of it done), but what if someone ran it with NO exhaust manifold/headers? Hate to think of how it would sound, but then could it warp a valve?
NO....warped valve is result of valve too HOT, not cool air.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I got the dynomax ultra flo mufflers on mine. Tones the noise down a ton, well, not wot so much, still loud as crap there. They are 3" as well.

But, you can carry on a conversation just fine while driving, going uphill you need to raise your voice, but nothing horrible.

This is with the exhaust all the way to the rear.

I also have an h pipe on mine, the only thing I noticed it done was it knocked down the cam chop vs open headers. i never went to the track to find out though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts