Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a first time builder, I have a myriad of questions. One is this. Due to my limited amount of space for my exhaust system, what are the pros/cons of a 3-4 foot section of flexible stainless tubing, welded to a flange that would be bolted directly to my exhaust manifolds and then ran to my mufflers. If this is acceptable, it sure would save me a ton of muffler shop visits to have exhaust pipe bent exactly the way I want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Flex tubing isn't really a long term solution IMO.
Can you weld, or at least tack weld and have someone else finish weld?
Get some mandrel bends and cut/fit/tack what you need.
I've built a couple sets of headers like that, it's actually more enjoyable than it looks.
A couple down pipes from manifolds would be pretty easy.
Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Nickel Auto part Pipe

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flex tubing isn't really a long term solution IMO.
Can you weld, or at least tack weld and have someone else finish weld?
Get some mandrel bends and cut/fit/tack what you need.
I've built a couple sets of headers like that, it's actually more enjoyable than it looks.
A couple down pipes from manifolds would be pretty easy.
View attachment 626174
I can do what I call, "Bugger Welding". Nothing I would trust. In my case, I am running Hooker exhaust manifolds. On the driver side, I don't have a lot of room, boing down, fro the frame to manifold. What kind of an allowable bend, degree wise, would be acceptable in that case? Or, is there a rule of thumb?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What we did on a recent project (two of them, actually) was use some of that stainless flex tubing to put in a temporary system. We had the hook up pieces and flanges at the header collectors, with the flex tubing clamped to that and then clampled the other end of the flex pipe to an assembled exhaust system. We were able to drive both cars, verify that our muffler setup was good, and take them to several different exhaust shops for estimates and opinions on a final system.

Our flex pipes didnt' fail during those few weeks, but under hood and under floor temps were high because the flex pipes are not as "exhaust tight" as thicker actual exhaust pipes. The final systems were also a bit quieter than the flex pipes we used as the interim exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Toliet paper and paper towel tubes are right around 1 5/8".
You can make these bigger easily to match your primary tube diameter.

Hot glue gun and some razorblades you can get a cheap set mocked up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts