Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a late 90's Explorer housing with the factory disc brakes. Does this use the Torino Big Ford New Style end pattern and can I put the Torino Big Ford style end in it? I can't locate any accurate information regarding this. I'm kinda hoping someone hear can confirm what will or won't work, or if anything will work.

I've put a truss bar setup on it to put in a G-body with the factory four link setup. That part of it has worked pretty well so far with modest 60' times, but I'm hoping to hit it harder next year. I'm attempting to be NHRA legal, but more importantly be safer. I'm not real comfortable over 140 with the c-clips.

Thanks in advance for any input - Jim.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Won't the caliper and the rotor hold everything in, if there is a failure anywhere inboard of the flange?
It just seems like the axle couldn't slide out like it would with the drum on the end.
But then again, it would be flopping around like crazy and make for a wild ride at any speed!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Caliper brackets bolt to the housing end, also the same place that the c clip eliminators bolt on. They both can't be in the same place.
Yes, I was just thinking about my case. I have the 10 bolt 8.5 with c clips in it still. But I put disc brakes on mine, and was thinking it would be pretty hard for the axle to slide out with that on the end of it. If the c-clip was the fail. But then again the fastest I go is 105 at the track. Don't usually go over 85 on the highway LOL!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Axles break at the starting line. I've never seen an axle break at speed.
I've considered getting a set of Moser or Strange c-clip axles only, but I won't be legal and ... I'm concerned of a failure at speed.

I thought you were changing the housing end to the press on bearing Ford.
That works better than a couple clip eliminator but does take custom axles.
That's what I'm planning to do because it seems that there aren't any options available other than that. But this will involve, cutting and welding a Big Ford end on. I believe they take the A20 bearing? I'm figuring this plan would be both safe and legal. Hoping to be in the 150's before the end of next year (barring another year of Covid similar shenanigans.) Basically, a spool, different set of 31 spline axles. The car is never going to hit hard like a 9.0 second NA or nitrous car because of the turbo - launch soft and run hard out the big end.

I believe I can grab an economical set of metric rear disc brakes with weld on brackets if needed, just trying to save a buck. FWIW, the entire build is a 'save a buck deal' - less than $8K in the hole mess and it's at 10.2 and 138 after 6 passes.

Thanks for the replies guys! Open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you weld Torino bearing housings on the Explorer axle, the Explorer disc brakes will bolt on if you get axles with the same brake spacing. You will need a spacer to take up the slack due to the disc caliper brackets being thicker than a drum backing plate. Currie may sell the spacer since they sell an Explorer brake kit for the 9" with Torino housings. FWIW - I'm running the Explorer brakes on the the 9" in my 46.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
If you get weld on housing ends you will have to get the back side of the explorer caliper brackets counter bored to clear the axle bearings. The bearings will stick out of the housing end 1/8 inch so the bracket must be machined to clear this. I believe you are going to have some problems with the 8.8 unless you do some more upgrades. A steel cap on the left side with larger bolts, a housing brace, welded tubes and at least 33 spline axles. My car is running 10.85 with a 9 inch and a nodular case and 31 spline Moser axles. I'm twisting the axles and I've stretched and bent the bolts in the left bearing cap. I'm going to have to upgrade to an after market case and 35 spline axles.

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Check me.
I think the Explorer mount has a hole of 3.15 and you have to get a spacer(Currie, Moser, etc) to put on the axle before the bearing to give the axle retaining plate something to seat on.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you get weld on housing ends you will have to get the back side of the explorer caliper brackets counter bored to clear the axle bearings. The bearings will stick out of the housing end 1/8 inch so the bracket must be machined to clear this. I believe you are going to have some problems with the 8.8 unless you do some more upgrades. A steel cap on the left side with larger bolts, a housing brace, welded tubes and at least 33 spline axles. My car is running 10.85 with a 9 inch and a nodular case and 31 spline Moser axles. I'm twisting the axles and I've stretched and bent the bolts in the left bearing cap. I'm going to have to upgrade to an after market case and 35 spline axles.
Your car is NA bbc correct? What kind of 60’ times are you running? Car in your avatar correct?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m confused, easily done BTW.

So I should be able to make this work with Torino big ends?

I did confirm that the Exploder bolt pattern is the Torino big end.

Hotrod46 - any pictures of your setup?

BGH - What does ‘TR’ equate to?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.