Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the hood on my 55 F100. doesn't close properly on one side, apparently a common problem. Does anyone know where I can buy a new pair of hinges in the UK.
Thank's in advance.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Have you tried "rotating" the hinge back? The hoods on older cars often are high in the back because they aren't adjusted properly. This is a REAL common problem that can be fixed not by "lowering" the hinge as most people think but by rotating it back. Loosening the hinge on the cowl and opening the hood up further further then tigthening the hinge bolts to the cowl. No kidding, even experienced bodymen look at me like I have bent metal with my mind when I show them this. Click on the link.

"Basics of Basics" Panel alignment. (door...

Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, the hood on my 55 F100. doesn't close properly on one side, apparently a common problem. Does anyone know where I can buy a new pair of hinges in the UK.
Thank's in advance.
Thank's in advance.
Hi Martin, I tried your system of aligning the hood and it didn't work. I released the bolts on the drivers side that needed adjustment, then lifted the hood as instructed. All that happened was the hinge on the passengers side turned 180 degrees and hit the underside of the hood, fortunately no paint damage. I had to remove the hood, take off the hinge, twist the 2 levers back to their original position the replace the spring. Back to square one. (n)

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
You need to post some photos what you said makes no sense! Did you loosen the hinge on the cowl? That is what you need to do, loosen the hinge on the cowl and rotate the hinges down in the back lifting the front. And YES I think it's in the instructions that the hood can go down so much that it will hit the cowl so you need to be careful the first time you close it.

Brian

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Brian, yes I released the bolts on the cowl as you instructed. I’ve already got the brackets back to where they should be so sorry no photos, and I agree, makes no sense at all but it did happen. Just going to buy new hinges as these are worn anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.