Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need Help. I have a 06 F150 4wd. When I drive down the road there is an intermittent rattle that is coming from the front / mid point of the truck. When I put it in 4wd the rattle goes away. (I have electric shift on the fly) The handling of the truck is not affected and the wheel bearings are good. Can anyone give me advice as to what it can be?

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
The reason i ask is i to have a 06 f150 4x4 had the same problem midway of my truck, turn the air on mine would rattle also,at first i thought it was the heat shield but it turned out i had to change the cats fixed it. Had bad cats on it from the factory, another thing that caused me problems was the bed shake does your do that also? Cole

·
13,765 Posts
Yea might come to that, about the bed if does shake while driving you can see it through the driver mirror it will vibrate if it does ford make a counter weight they can bolt in on the driver side of the frame at the rear of the truck it will help alot also. just trying to help. Cole

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the truck is real solid the bed doesn't vibrate. I was thinking it was coming from the transfer case or the front axles. It like a lose part getting knocked around. But everything works and sound goes away when I put it in 4wd.

·
13,765 Posts
Yea i would put it on a rack and have someone get in put it in gear and slowly raise the throttle until in makes the sound, while someone is listening and looking for it.Then you should find it . it would be nice if the rack was one you pull on where the wheels are like on the rack like a muffler rack or something like that. Hope al this helps you out. Cole

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have had cats break apart before I don't think its the cats. This problem just started and the noise is loud. Cat will break apart gradually unless the motor back fires or is dumping raw fuel into the exhaust and then it ignites.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
Last year I was at the alignment shop I use, and he was hunting this same kind of rattle in a 4WD Ford Truck. I don't remember the year, but it was a real new truck.

It turned out to be a bracket on the passenger side, that holds the front drive axle in.

·
13,765 Posts
My cats did this all at once. rattled worst when the air was on. they replaced mine and it fixed it you could tap/ hit all you wanted to and could not hear a noise in the cats, they said they had replace several on 04-06 cats bad from factory. his may not be the cats but it can happen it happened to me. so i wouldnt rule out the cats just yet. stranger things have happened. I am sure it can be a number of things. It can be as simple as a loose bolt with a washer on it rattling around. Cole

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
eloc431962 said:
My cats did this all at once. rattled worst when the air was on. they replaced mine and it fixed it you could tap/ hit all you wanted to and could not hear a noise in the cats, they said they had replace several on 04-06 cats bad from factory. his may not be the cats but it can happen it happened to me. so i wouldnt rule out the cats just yet. stranger things have happened. I am sure it can be a number of things. It can be as simple as a loose bolt with a washer on it rattling around. Cole
i am not discounting the cat's. I am just giving another item to look at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m ruling out the cats because if I put it into neutral and rev the motor there is no rattle. Everybody is forgetting the fact that when it starts and I put it into 4wd the rattle goes away and stays away. When I take it out of 4wd there is no rattle for awhile. The rattle is constant when it happens and does not appear to be affected by motor rpm. It sounds like a lose part some where in the hub if that’s possible. This only happens when the truck is in motion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.