Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Slow but willing learner
5,393 Posts
The bottom line is you can bend sheet metal but it takes tools and know how to form it into a compound curve.

Most likely, the best plan of attack for you will be to buy a set of wheel houses from a salvadge yard if you can not find a good doner car.

Best of luck,
John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,393 Posts
From what I see, your body is toast.
You can't even see where to start making the shape of those wheel tubs.

Better get John Long on the job.
You know, I would be the last one to belittle someone's project or say something cruel or derogatory but I will be honest here.

In order to repair this issue in a way that will give you service, you must have a point to build back to that gives you a solid and long lasting repair. Looking at the pictures, I don't see that point. Unless this car has so much sentimental value that you want to fix it at all costs walk away from it. Maybe you can salvage the engine, trans, rear end. gauges etc and make this a parts car if you can find another one with a good body. If you do decide to proceed I would suggest you absolutely have to find another solid body.

The guys here kid me because I like to fix rusty cars no one else will fool with but it has to be a car that can be repaired properly and will be worth what I have spent when I am done. I don't see either one being possible here.

Best of luck,

John

·
Slow but willing learner
5,393 Posts
Yup, 22 ga in steel. I bought (of all things) trailer fenders for my rear clip that are 16 ga and they have a nice rolled edge instead of the usual squared-off look. The only thing is, they are open and require panels to close them although it's just a flat sheet of steel.

Russ
Actually the Summit ones are even worse than that. They advertise 24 ga. :drunk:

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts