Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well after striping the paint off the side of my car i noticed some body filler type stuff and had some surface rust around the edges so i removed it all to see that it is where the roof must have been welded on.

i am striping my car down and priming it with epoxy primer, what should i do with this here? epoxy primer it and then use body filler to fill it back in or body filler then epoxy or what are my options?

i have attached a picture of the area that i am talking about

thanks again

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Go with the epoxy primer first so the back side of your filler is sealed. The application you removed allowed moisture to migrate under the filler and rust. The optimum choice is epoxy - bondo - epoxy, and go on from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welcome to the G-body roof seam. Is that a regal? Not to revive an old topic but I am dealing with the same exact thing right now. Mine had the oh so wonderful vinyl top. Make sure that you lead in the B-post. I'm sure you found lead there from factory, reason being there is a stress point at that area and bondo any type of conventional filler will crack after the first two times you close the door.

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is a 82 grand prix

there was a vinyal top on the back half of the car wich i removed because i hate vinyal and it wasnt in great cond

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
to me, it would be easier to buy a new (non vinyl top) car, then to try and get rid of the vinyl top on an existing car. its just to much to fill in and fix.

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no way i would buy a new car because of that, ive already spent 4G on this one and i would have to take it all apart again to swap over parts... just a daily driver for summer

·
Super Moderator
18,347 Posts
Back in the "Good 'ol Days}, they used lead to fill those seams............guess that they cheapened up in the 80s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts