Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 64 falcon ranchero that i want to hot rod, i'm young and i'm short on cash, but i have a 72 ltd drivetrain(400 and c6 ithink) i wondered if it would fit without any major changes, if so what changes are necessary, any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It won't fit without cutting the shock towers. The 400 is a big block and a 351 just barely fits in a falcon. If i were you I would go with a 351 or a dime a dozen 302. The C6 would be overkill and wouldnt fit in the tranny tunnel and offer too much drag so a C4 would be better. I understand that your short on cash but I think that this combo just simply wont work without major surgery.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would have to agree with 'Stang bout the swap. 302s&C4s should be readily available for little cash at most wreckin yards,you might even be able to trade the driveline you already have if you can find a willin yard,an AOD might even work if you wanna drop your rear gear and maintain some MPG

·
ASE Master
246 Posts
Had a 64 Sprint in high school. Put a 69 351 Winsor in it, engine just 1" wider that 260,289. Man tight fit Had to hammer in right tower a little and use right 260 exhaust man. Redrilled bell housing for original T-10 trans. There is no way without putting in a straight axle or different front clip it would fit. That was 30 yrs ago, hahaha

·
Registered
358 Posts
Put the 400/c6 aside for future use or swap bait. a 302 and c4 is the way to go. easy and cheap. Once it goes like a scalded dog, think brakes! The stock drums on that car are pretty anemic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts