Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The family vehicle is acting up(1998 suburban vortec 350). It seems like a gas issue but im not for sure. This thing putters and putters. The more you get on it the more it putters. The service engine light is on. I put some fuel injector cleaner in it about two weeks. It putters a little in park but very badly once in drive. Changed the fuel filter about a year ago(inline, what a *****). Where do I start in getting her to running better/normal?

·
Registered
92 Posts
IF all else fails it is not very hard to pull the injectors and clean them. you would be suprised how much stuff builds up in them. I use starter fluid and tap them upside down to get gunk out of them, I got "sandy" gas from a gas station around here about a year ago and my Aurora started doing the same thing, except my engine light was flashing becuase there was a mis-fire in cylinder 3, then it would switch to all the other cylinders when I would pull the codes, so I knew it was the injectors when that happened.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Take a look at where your fuel line runs up by the motor, should be a stainless steel line, then it will split into a "fuel rail" which will divide up into two rails, one on each side of your motor. Then you will probably have to move some plastics, and maybe your intake to get to it. There are little c clips that hold your injectors in. I use a small flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers to pull them off(the clips). Also there will be a small harness plugged into all of your injectors, a simple look will tell you how to take those off. Now once you pull your injectors out you have to remember that a majority of them remained closed until the computer sends the signal to let them open or spray fuel, so when you are cleaning them don't think that you can blow through them or use air to push stuff out of them. I used starter fluid and a q-tips to clea mine out. Make sure you take th cotton off the q-tips so not to leave any behind in the injector, the plastic piece from them is just the right size to get in there. They make fuel injector cleaner in the aerosol can to use too, I recommend using something in the aerosol cans as they give you pressure to shoot some of the stuff out that you cant dig out. After you install them your car may smoke, alot for a minute, thats just the starter fluid or whatever you choose to use to clean your injectors burning.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
You are opening up a can of worms. Before you start to do anything, find out what the codes are. Most time inectors are junked up it is on the inside. You take a chance of tearing the o-rings and have leaks when you get done.
Once you have the codes, post them and we can go from there

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
You can add injector cleaner to the tank but you are not even sure that is the issue. You could have a bad plug wire or a multitude of other issues.
Get the codes before you do anything

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah , def get the codes before you do anything. The o-rings on the injectors are pretty hard to tear, you really have to do something foul to rip them. But yea find out what your problem is before you do anything. If is comes back misfire also check your ignition stuff like wires before you dive into injectors. That was just my problem, yours could be a mulitude of things. Also injectors collect things in the top bowl where the fuel sits while waiting to be exploded, lol. Many of times have I pulled off injectors to see alot of dirt and stuff caked up in there, in fact I do it about once a year as that fuel injector stuff really only works on fuel sediment build up, not on any foreign particles. I can see my fuel mileage go down two or three miles when it gets built up(thats only happened twice). I changed gas stations after finding all that stuff in there, I have pics if I can find them, Pulled about a marble worth of crud out on a 6 cylinder!!!

·
Old(s) Fart
6,018 Posts
As noted, start the diagnosis by determining what, if any, trouble codes are stored in the computer. A clogged injector will not show a trouble code, however. The in-tank injector cleaner is more of a preventative measure than a fix for an existing problem. Most shops have on-car injector cleaning capability where a combustible cleaning solution is run through the injectors from the fuel rail while the engine is running. The fuel pump is disabled so the engine only runs on the cleaning solution, which comes in a pressurized can. This is better than simply removing the injectors because you need to have the solution running through the injectors while they are being commanded open and closed.

Of course, as others have correctly noted, the problem could be completely unrelated to the injectors. It could be a fuel pump or plugged filter. It could be ignition. It could be a worn timing chain. It could be a bad EGR valve, stuck purge solenoid, or burned engine valve. Almost none of these will show up as trouble codes.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
AM, Do as Chet has posted, get the codes, and post them. Do nothing else first, and do not purchase any parts suggested by the parts store counter person.

Here is an example. I have scaned many vehicles, with a similar problem, and found two codes P0171, and P0174. (running too lean, on bank one, and bank two) The parts store will try to sell you Oxygen sensors, when in fact, they have not been the problem.

To repeat, Get The CODES First, and post them.

Stephen

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok guys im at work and my wife just called and said truck died on her. I told her if she could get to auto zone and have them run the codes text them to me. Once I get codes ill be sure to post them.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Fuel pump may well be at the root of the problem. not providing enough pressure for the engine to run properly, and now gave up the ghost.
But with the check engine lite on, for some time, prior to death, points to
something else. But as mentioned before, without the trouble codes, diagnosis will be hit or miss.

I ran into one which actually was too rich to run. Did ok cold, but inna minnit or two it would die, and not re start. Pretended that It had a carb, and held it to the floor, and it would sputter to life. Pulled the codes, and found that the temp sensor, was bad, and telling the computer that the engine was still cold, and so the computer gave it more gas. 20 minutes, and $15 later it was up and running good as new. :D

Thanx
Shorty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.