Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm upgrading my cooling system in my 66 LeMans.
I got a new fan clutch and am installing a shroud from ames performance.

Questions are, I'm using the bolts from the old clutch to install the fan onto the new clutch but the bolts are stopping short of contacting the fan (without cranking them down)

they're stopping at about 3/16" -1/4' before contact.
Am I suppsed to torqe them down and let the bolt thread bite into the soft threadless metal at the bottom of the hole?

My fear is stripping out the holes and having a useless chunk of metal.
It would make sense for the threads to bite at the end to lock it in, but I don't know.
Also there were no lockwashers on the old one, should they be used?

Thanks for any info you could provide.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Studs..

Doc here :pimp:

Like Double vision said, They make Studs for that ....

The pump end is Machine , ( fine thread), and the fan (bolt) end is course...A kit comes with Studs, Bolts and locks.

I think any auto parts store should have them in their "Dress Up" , Or "Help" section.

Hope It helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.
I was actually talking about the short bolts used to connect the fan to the fan clutch.
I just torqued em down and it seemed to tighten down the fan without stripping out the clutch holes.

I used your advice on connecting the clutch assembly to the water pump, and went to the "help" section and got some studs.
Much better than them bolts for ease in installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.