Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Haze gray, no longer underway
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I’ve got a 1969 Camaro with a 389 stroker that I installed the FAST “carb replacement” system on. New gas tank with pump, new manifold, the works, new 1/2 fuel lines, and I refreshed the internals with Total Seal rings, new bearings, Lunati Bootlegger cam and kit. Fuel pressure is spot on, timing set, and it starts and runs great. What it won’t do is what inspired my question… it won’t hot start. I run it for a while, shut it off, and it won’t start again until it cools off, then it works great.

Good, bad, or indifferent, I do all my own work.

I should add that I had to move in the middle of the tuning, so its now sat for about 6 months without any activity. It has a Masterlube so gets good oil pressure before starting.

The tunes look like the pictures in the instructions, and I followed all the pages, going back over them a bunch of times. I duplicate tunes and change the parameters for VE, A/F, etc, but still no hot start.

The engine isn’t broken in yet, I can’t get it out and about if I don’t know if I can get home. There used to be a forum by CPG, but after Edelbrock bought CPG they shut it down.

Engine vacuum is higher that I anticipated with this cam, I already took the vacuum canister out of the equation to narrow possible air leaks because I have great brakes.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Did your new gas tank and pump have a fuel return line from the EFI? If there is no return line from the EFI and the pressure is dead-heading at the engine, it might be absorbing enough heat in the lines so that it vapor locks. With a return line you will have flow in the return line back to the tank, so there is more time for the fuel to cool off.

·
Haze gray, no longer underway
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is an Aeromotive Stealth tank with 1/2” lines both ways, and the pressure stays steady. It cuts off after three seconds of “key on” until it reads a reduction in pressure and kicks back on. The pump is in the tank and pressure stays steady with reving the engine.
I never thought to look at it like old school troubleshooting, checking for fuel and spark, so basic I missed it because I was wrapped around the axle with the magic of EFI. I’ll be back after some checks.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.