Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Hot rods don't drift. Only rice burners are into that dangerous crap.

Centerline

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Centerline said:
Hot rods don't drift. Only rice burners are into that dangerous crap.

Centerline

Well he is from Austrailia and the real drifting is in style over there. Not the fake kind of "drifting" that guys with front wheel drive do--ripping the e-brake locking the back tires up and sliding.

Boofis you can drift with fat tires you just need the power to keep them spinning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey
Yeah, I can't stand the rice burner drifting, thats so stupid and extremely dangerous. Drifting in rwd is still not that safe but is alot better, and is real drifting :D Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ford GT. SO you can drift in fats, I'm assuming you'd need alot of power to lose traction on those wheels lol! I'll keep the rule of thumb in mind, thanks man. Oh and with fwd - Do people put fats on the front then :S? Intriguing lol! Would that be really bad for handling? God bless!
Thanks
Troy

·
Registered
237 Posts
boofis said:
Hey
Yeah, I can't stand the rice burner drifting, thats so stupid and extremely dangerous. Drifting in rwd is still not that safe but is alot better, and is real drifting :D Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ford GT. SO you can drift in fats, I'm assuming you'd need alot of power to lose traction on those wheels lol! I'll keep the rule of thumb in mind, thanks man. Oh and with fwd - Do people put fats on the front then :S? Intriguing lol! Would that be really bad for handling? God bless!
Thanks
Troy

FWD is typically bad for handling.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
With FWD cars the tuners DO put fat tires on front, but only for the dragstrip, I havent seen it in drifting. Some of them run the 1/4 in just under 9 seconds with highly modified 4-bangers. They usually have wide tires in the front that portrude out of where the fenders used to be. They also have to use a wheelie bar thats slammed to the ground so they wont lose traction up front.

Mike

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Boofis, I guess those tires would suck for cornering BUT they only use them on drags, straight strips where the main goal is to get down the line as quick and straight as possible. I dont imagine they use them for street.

Drifting isnt dangerous, as long as its done in a controlled evironment. It's always people that take it to the streets that give it a bad name. Both in the import and hot-rod world. A kid drifts on the street, a dude races his Camaro on the highway, the drifter causes an accident and kills a kid, the Camaro smahes into a car and kills an old lady. Hot-Rodding is just like Drifting, it's fun and safe, as long as you do it at a designated place.

Mike

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Drifting was "in" back in the early 60s :welcome: in some parts of the country.... It was an evolution of the "wiskey runners"..... You should have seen 390 Starliners ;) sliding around..... There were a few good Impalas too.... I know guys who put new recaps on the car on Friday afternoon, and Monday morning they were S L I C K..... :thumbup:

All things come around in cycles, don't they?

(of course it was on the highways.... where else?)

·
See project in Photo Album
203 Posts
I practice drifting all winter in my full size crew cab, because it just seems so necessary on roads that are snow packed for 3 months of the year :D

AAMOF, I spend enough time sideways that the wife doesn't even complain about it anymore...

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Drifting?

Johnsongrass can appreciate this. Drifting is often the quickest way around the corners on a dirt track, and sometimes the only way to get around them.
Steer right to go left. :thumbup:
Dirt is for racing, Asphalt is just for getting there.
Johnsongrass, you ever make it up to Moberly?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Real hotrodder don't do drifting. Now we may cut a cookie, do some brodies. a 66 or two, the more adventursome an 88 maybe a bootlegger or a display of horsepower (gratuitous burnout for the uninformed)but never do it in an enviornment where some actual skill is required. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.