Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I did a lot together in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. He left Scouts after completing his Eagle project making it hard to spend time together. He had been reading all kinds of car magazines and one day we talked about getting a car to work on together. This led to him finding a 79 Camaro at the Woodward Dream Cruise and I ended up buying the car. Well, we have spent many hours together without arguing. We had to replace the trans twice. The first TCI trans was fully automatic and would not work with the vmatic 2 shifter. We finally install a street and strip TCI trans and new torque converter. While under the car we saw break fluid on the rear tires and had to install new wheel cylinders and shoes when the previous owner had just replaced the breaks. We drove the car for a week or so then had to rebuild the heads when we had two push rods shatter. The head geometry was all wrong. We pulled the engine and went through it to find that the rest of it was ok. For a car that was supposed to be in good condition Scott and I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome to the site nh3ammonia. :welcome: Glad to hear you and your son are working on a project together. You both will remember these times forever. Lots of info and opinions here. To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration. Glad to have you here and enjoy the site. Good luck with your project.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
[ We had to replace the trans twice. The first TCI trans was fully automatic and would not work with the vmatic 2 shifter. We finally install a street and strip TCI trans and new torque converter. While under the car we saw break fluid on the rear tires and had to install new wheel cylinders and shoes when the previous owner had just replaced the breaks. For a car that was supposed to be in good condition Scott and I have learned a lot.[/QUOTE]

And to think folks will by a car off of ebay. Unfortunately this is a story that is told over and over ..... Used car salesmen whether a pro or an amateur are all alike, grandma drove it only on Sunday. Good project for the both of you, I was wondering, what did TCI do if anything when you discovered that the street/strip was the one for the car.. did you have to buy two transmissions or did they work out a deal. Welcome to a great hobby it is not all full of liers but there are a few. I try to find my parts from branded sources that back what they sell, TCI and the likes. Drive it, enjoy it and part of the enjoyment is the driving, I personally like doing the repair work and the upgrading myself, and it sounds like you and your son find that a fun thing also..... Happy trails to the both of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts