Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Doesn't look very green does it? I saw Arfons with the old original Green Monster waaaaay back in the early sixty's at Lions. Big Allison V-12 and dual slicks, still roasted them the whole 1320.

·
Semper Gumby
397 Posts
Team Vesco's Turbinator - the fastest (so far) WHEEL DRIVEN car at 472 mph using a turbine engine to drive the wheels

George Poteet's Speed Demon - 462 MPH - wheel driven with a single small block chevy! turning the wheels

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
There are just too many for me to ever come up with a "favorite" I love those cars, and bikes too.

This is one of my favorites, 55.62 MPH from 50cc. :D

Brian

·
The Dude
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't look very green does it? I saw Arfons with the old original Green Monster waaaaay back in the early sixty's at Lions. Big Allison V-12 and dual slicks, still roasted them the whole 1320.
I think I saw that car not too long ago in that movie Ingenuity in Action. Atleast I remember an Allison V-12.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Your friend has a nice car! What happened to it?
he sold that car I believe, and has built about 1/2 dozen more. See his website (Pigasus Racing Team) for a bunch of cool bonneville cars he runs now and his history of catching the land speed bug. He has several records over 200. He and I shared a garage building hot rods in our twenties, both in our mid sixties now

·
The Dude
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he sold that car I believe, and has built about 1/2 dozen more. See his website (Pigasus Racing Team) for a bunch of cool bonneville cars he runs now and his history of catching the land speed bug. He has several records over 200. He and I shared a garage building hot rods in our twenties, both in our mid sixties now
Damn! You two have been doing this for a long time!
Thanks for the share man!

·
The Dude
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
More bucks, go faster!
1,074 Posts
Here's one that never happened. The " Proud American" car is a mock up built to garner sponsors in the 70's. Tony Fox built the car and commissioned Dean Moon to design the car carrier "The Bonneville Boss". The truck was built using a Toronado front wheel drive set up. 4WD, 4WS, 6 trailers. Would have been interesting!

Attachments

·
16,464 Posts
OH MY GOD Mike that is so friggin awesome! I don't remember ever seeing it before. WILD!

Brian

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You beat me to it Jay, Micky Thompson has always been one of my heros and the Challenger was definately one of his bests. Mike
Thompson was the super star of my era!

There is also my opinion that a jet is not a land speed record "CAAAAR"... at least in my small mind! It has to be wheel driven to turn me on! If it uses actual automobile engines, instead of aircraft, turbines, etc.... I like it even better! :)

·
16,464 Posts
I can dig the rocket or jet thrusted car, it's just different. The wheel driven ones have a lot more of my respect though.

I just tried to find the crash with the Spirit of America where it goes into the water over the levy and the camera man is running towards it, I can't find it anywhere. It was the Spirit of America right?

Brian

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.