Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that these skirts fit a 65 Bonneville. I have since found out they don't. Question is: "What car do they fit on?"
I thank you for any imput you have on this.

If the picture doesn't open for you just click on the Merc and it will take you to the photo album

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Clay's Classics ]

[ May 12, 2003: Message edited by: Clay's Classics ]</p>

·
Registered
533 Posts
Don't know, but since no one has answered you yet, I'll give you my guess.... I have early 50's Ford skirts (50 or 51?) and they look very similar except there is no lip at the bottom. (I don't think)... I'll look again tonight. They have an arm in the back for the attachment into a slitted bracket on the car. Could they be later Ford? Only a guess!! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
These appear to factory-type fender skirts.
Aftermarket skirts such as Foxcraft and others usually have numbers stamped in the lower edge of the skirt (facing the ground). They are usually simplistic codes such as "57CH" for 57 Chevy and "67FGAL" for 57 Ford Galaxie and so on.
Factory skirts may have a part number stamped in them or a number rubber-stamped on them in ink or paint on the backside which is usually unpainted (color).
If you have none of these you are pretty much reduced to carrying them to an old boneyard (is there such a thing?) and trying them in the wheel opening car by car. Remember some cars may have a different wheel opening in a different model such as Bonneville and Catalina!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Dragon and Pasadenahotrod for your imput. I have dilegently searched for some marking on the back of the skirts and there is none.
The boneyard approach to identification sounds like a hot sweaty search since it is over 100 degrees in the shade everyday here.
Hey Dragon, I like your henry j. I owned a 1951 henry j in 1960. It was stock as could be but a lot of fun. I didn't appreciate it as much then as I would now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts