Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently building a 350 for my 71 pick up and want to do fuel injection. Iv been looking at the Pro Flow set up part #3500 and was wondering if any of you all have used it or had any thing to say about it, like how hard it may be to set up and get going. The motor is a standard 350 with trick flow Kenny D heads, upgraded rod bolts four bolt main with so far a mild cam. I'v got most every thing to have it up and running except an intake and if I'm going EFI might as well only buy an intake once. Another question can I use a separate ignition box like a Malory or MSD or do i need to use the one that comes in the kit, and any cam suggestions would be nice, i'll have to go check specs on the one i have. Behind the motor is a th350 2200 stall 373 posi Thanks a bunch Sean.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Here is the simple answer to how easy it will be for you to tune the engine with this system or any other.

The Edelbrock system is tuned in based on fueling and spark timing maps which relate to vacuum ranges for the engine. Vacuum, in a speed density system is a direct relationship to the loading on the motor. If you can visualize in your head how vacuum changes relate to loading on the engine you can easily work through the tuning maps. Getting the fueling and spark maps dialed in is 80% of the process, the remaing tuning parameters revolve around driveability and starting.

The Edelbrock is a great system for the price IF you don't have access to a laptop, or don't want to use a laptop. If you do have a laptop the Holley 950 system may be something worth considering as it has some more up to date features and greatly expanded tuning ability and options.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I have tuned these systems for years and have run the Edelbrock system on my own cars. My partner puchased one of the very first Pro Flo systems back in the 90's, that system is still going on a 383 I built. We have done quite a few Edelbrock installs over the years both big block and small block. They all ran nice.

We are a F.A.S.T dealer now and that is what we typically will use on full custom installs. I have run these systems on my car for the past 5 years.

The F.A.S.T. XFI box is what I currently run on my 454 small block. Just the box though is almost $2000 plus you will need an intake, throttle body, distributor and sensor kit. The all in one kits like the Edelbrock and Holley would be a better setup for you from a cost standpoint. No need to get too fancy in your application.

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
again thanks for the info :D now from your stand point in having used diffrent systems what would you recommend for a weekend cruiser occasional daily use and maybe a few runs down a 1/4 mile? I just want something i can hop in and go drive around all day have some fun and is not a pain in my butt to get going and get decent performance from.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
now from your stand point in having used diffrent systems what would you recommend for a weekend cruiser occasional daily use and maybe a few runs down a 1/4 mile? I just want something i can hop in and go drive around all day have some fun and is not a pain in my butt to get going and get decent performance from.
I converted my Pro-Flo 3500 to the Holley C950 EMS. You can read about it here: http://www.edgesz28.com/edgesz28/fuel.htm

I've used both and would definitely recommend the Holley over the Edelbrock. The Pro-Flo 3500 is $2,160 at Summit and the Commander 950 is $2,300. Both provide everything needed, except with the Holley recommends a small cap HEI distributor (not included). The Edelbrock has a cheap Hall Effect distributor conversion setup. The Pro-Flo ignition amplifier is nothing more than a HEI module in a red box. The Holley system also gives you the option to add Wideband later if you want.

I don't want to slam the Pro-Flo too much, but having the C950 control my Pro-Flo has made tuning a breeze. Tuning with a laptop is better (IMO). The handheld control module has screens that you need to scroll through (in and out so to speak). Whereas the C950 has all the RPM and load cell points on one fuel map screen. The cell pointer moves around the various cells as you are driving. If it a particular cell is reading lean, add a little fuel. If it is rich, take a little out. Within 30 minutes of driving, I had my 383 tuned for normal driving conditions. With the Pro-Flo, you don't have this ability.

With the Holley you can get the single plane version (like the Pro-Flo) or the Stealth Ram. The additional $140 is well worth the extra expense.

Good luck, Ed

www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Either system will do the job and will give you superb fueling once dialed in. As I mentioned earlier, and Edge mentioned as well, IF you have a laptop you can run in the car the Holley is well worth considering. Although price points on the surface are close I don't think the Holley package comes with a pump nor the distributor you need to run. Also, if you go with the Holley you really want the wide band O2 setup. Getting the 950 setup like you will want it will end up in the $3000 range. Even though you don't realize it now. The Stealth intake setup is well worth upgrading to as well.

I guess I can't describe any of the Edelbrock parts as cheap from a quality standpoint. We have never had a failure with their system.

For a newbie either system is going to be intimidating at first. When tuning a system in you are getting down to a level most people have never been at before. Their are advantages and disadvantages to both systems from a newbie stanpoint and simply assume you will be frustrated at times with both, it will save you in the end and is pretty normal.

Both systems come with very good instructions.

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhh :confused: all this back and forth between the two systems is making me confused on which one I want. I see the pros and cons of both and cant really decide on which would be better for me and what I want it to do.

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
Rick WI said:
Both systems come with very good instructions.
Here is the Holley manual: http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R10149-7.pdf

Here is the Pro-Flo manual: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/3000/3500.pdf

I agree with everything Rick says. Plus, he has much more experience then me when it comes to EFI systems and tuning. But from my experiences using both systems, I would recommend the Holley for ease in tuning.

The Holley systems do come with a fuel pump, but like Rick said, you need to get a distributor. You can find some pretty good deals on small cap HEI distributors ($100 or less) and just get an external mounted coil ($30-$40).

Read the manuals and that will help you out a great deal. If you have any more questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Good luck, Ed

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
In reality it is a very easy decision tree

Have laptop and 12v to 120v converter, Holley
Don't have laptop or converter but will buy, Holley
don't have laptop and am a computer idiot and don't want one, buy Edelbrock

That is truly how it boils down.

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks a ton for help guys, I read the edelbrock manual at work today and plan on doing the same with the Holley tomorrow. You all are right in it being intimidating and i'll be frustrated as hell, but I'm sure i can figure it out. Now the more I think about it, in all reality it does make more since in the long run, to go with the more tunable and programmable system, so im leaning toward Holley, i'll be checking out megasquirt also. Im also running the idea through my head that I know i can get a 454 block and heads from my girl friends dad and that would defiantly be worth building all out, maybe hold off on the EFI tell then? or what about one of those systems that goes on in place of a carb? im sure the MPFI is alot better than tbi tho... AHHH so many decisions I really need to get the suspension sorted out before i slap the motor in the truck :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.