Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A GLASS 1936 3 WINDOW COUPE BODY AND WOULD LIKE TO FRENCH IN THE REAR PLATE. WE HAVE KICKED AROUND 5-6 IDEAS OF WHAT TO MAKE IT OUT OF AND HOW TO DO IT SO IT LOOKS RIGHT.

I KNOW WE NEED A BOX FIRST BUT SHOULD IT BE GLSS, AND IF SO HOW DO WE MAKE A MOLD, SHOULD IT BE METAL REINFORCED? SHOULD IT BE ALL METAL? HOW WILL WE HOLD IT TO THE CAR? HOW WILL WE BE ABLE TO FINISH THE EDGE AT THE TRUNK AREA SO IT WON'T CRACK? SHOUL BONDO OR FIBERGLASS BE USED TO FINISH IT OFF?

I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO CONSIDER BUT I'D LIKE YOUR IMPUT PLEASE!

BOMO

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks v8 i like your thinking. i have worked with glass before so i know what you mean about the resin on the shears lol, what a mess and i always wear nitrite gloves to protect my fingers, i hate trying to get that resin off, to say nothing about what it can do to the skin.

my deck lid is like any 36 ford so i'm trying to figure how it make the bottom of the box level if i use a plastic box for a mold, maybe i'm not understanding you. if the box were fitted into the body as is water would collect in where the plats sits, no?

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i made a box out of cardboard then fiberglassed it together to use as a mockup and then i cut the body to fit the mockup. when i liked how it fit i then took 18 ga metal and weled it up just like the cardboard that i used as my paterm. i welded and cooled welded and cooled till it was perfect. i welded to wide ears on the back and slid it into the opening then glassed the ears with holes it them to the inside of the body. i also glassed in the top and bottom. after a day of drying i used cloth not matting to glass the mrtal to the fiberglass decklid all around the edges, i then let it dry and came back in with a col of skim coats on body filler. i hit it with some black primer and it really looks quite good if i do say so myself. but i want to give you guys all the credit for your help. thanks a lot.

bomo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.