Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i drive a 91 integra, I've asked around and still noone has been able to give me a straight answer:

What I want to do is paint my entire interior the same color as the exterior(Kandy Kobalt blue).I am looking for a SMOOTH sleek high gloss shine. I want of get rid of the textured vinyl and plastic. Also I am looking to doing a custom console, gauges, etc. My interior now is part vinyl,cloth,and plastic.

So will fiberglass work? If so how do I go about laying it up? or do I have to make molds of everything?

If not? I am open to ANY suggestions!!

thanks in advance :D :D

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
As much as I HATE shiny painted interiors with a passion, i guess ill help. Youll need to remove all the vinyl and cloth from all the panels, basically take it down to the bare plastic. The resin will resist the plasticizers in the vinyl and it wont stick very well. The fiberglass cloth can be laid down over the plastic and the resin brushed over. A finishing gel coat will need to be applied if it is going to be painted. There is ALOT more to the process, but if you have never done this before, I wouldnt just take the stuff to a body shop and have them paint it. Plus I dont feel like typing anymore.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank both u guys for the reponses and the advice. I'll just have to use the old TRIAL AND ERROR method. I have a parts car with complete interior anyway so if I completely mess up I 'll just switch them out.

:(

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Make molds. Draw up what you want it to be shaped like and make a 3D mold of each peice the same way I taught you how to make the exsterior body panels. Take out the original interior, but make sure to label all wires and connectors especially in a newer computerized vehicle. I'm sure Weimer can tell you how many wires and gadgets are under that dash and consol, its chalked fill. Make the mold with the same attaching method as the original dash so it will just bolt right in. Make sure the interior mmatches the exsterior or it will have been done in vein. If you would send me a picture of your actual vehicle I will, throughout the next week or so, sketch up a rough idea of both the exsterior and interior for you so you can get busy on the molds. What kind of gauges are you planning on using? Digital or analog?

I would preffer one picture of each for best reffrence:
  • Direct front, correct horizontal shot
    Direct rear, correct horizontal shot
    Side, correct horizontal shot
    Dash, overall (entire) perspective
    Consol, overal perspective

Correct horizontal means a picture with absolutly no angle, up, down, left or right, just straight. Use the horizon line as a reffrence.

HK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No not really, I was just thinking about going with factory just recovered with glass. Do you have any suggestions, that would go along with the theme of my car?

I'm still in the process of getting the pictures on the net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts