Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the fenders on my 1950 Ford truck. I was wondering if I should replace them with fiberglass or metal fenders? What are the cons and pros of each? thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
My opinion- I like steel because I like to work with it. I have used fibo for a while and think it is harder to repair (more labor intensive) but still fun!! Fibo is, of course lighter, and I think has a smoother, glossier,' plastic' appearance when painted- not to say you can't get a GREAT glossy paint job on steel- I think it is all personal preference. You want to race go for least weight. I'd rather have steel in front of me when (or if!!) I ever get into a fender bender.... or in the case of fibo- fender breaker!!! Good Luck!! :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Here's a couple other pros/cons

Fiberglass:
++Doesn't come "prepped" to mount on your vehicle. Often times you will have to drill holes in order to mount.

++Sometimes doesn't align correctly because of molding imperfections, requiring you to remove bracing and cut the fiber-panel and re-glass it to make it fit "Just Right"

++Doesn't rust obviously
++Lighter

Steel
++Big learning curve in working with sheetmetal. But it's tons of fun. I'm learning as I move forward...my truck probably won't be finished for 10 years, and chances are it's not going to be an award winning show-truck, but I'm LEARNING and that's the best part.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I ran glass fenders on my 36 PU for 20 years and 207,000 miles. Dinged a rear when I had a minor jack knife towing a car, Did not even make me whimper , quick and easy repair. I'm now redoing the truck and am putting new glass fenders back on cause I loved the first ones. I do lay roofing tar on the underside to eliminate the crows feet cracks from tire slung rocks. Fiberglass fenders never rattle or squeak!!!!

Trees

1 - 4 of 4 Posts