Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen it done a thousand times and i've seen them crack 999 times..i have a 70 chevy shortbed stepside..im changing to a 68 frt clip and would love to put a teardrop scoop on it ...but worried about crackin...would it help if i cut the hood out completely under the scoop then sanwhiched it with cloth ..and even run strips of cloth from the scoop onto the bottom of the hood from underneath??

·
Registered
22 Posts
It could do , the cracking is usually a result of excessive flex in the bonnet itself , ie inner frames removed etc , try to keep as much of the original bonnet framing as you can , ie welding a "end" into any framing that is cut through around the opening , running the glass from inside of the scoop and blending into the underneath of the bonnet would more than likely help the cause with the added ridgity.

Cheers
Dale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...also thought of welding in some gussets around the hole to keep the hood from flexing so much

·
Registered
22 Posts
good idea , just remember not to get to much heat into the skin itself as you have a big job ahead correcting the distortion :)

Cheers
Dale.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I put a fiberglass on my elky and it cracked after a few years.The problem as I understand is the fiberglass scoop ,filler,and steel hood all heat up and cool down at different rates wich can cause the cracking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I put one on a '55 chevy steel hood that never cracked! I know, you want to know how! It was one of those harwood bolt-on scoops with the rubber gasket around it! The car was black, and until you got real close, you couldn't tell!

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
The best way is to get a fiberglass hood and bond it to that, steel to fiberglass will always crack eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts