Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1929 ford roadster, chevy 350/350 8in ford rear.
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 29 Ford Roadster Street Rod. It's registered as a 29 Ford roadster but there isn't a single 29 Ford part on it. F/glass body on 32 rails. It came with a removeable hardtop. The seller wasn't the original builder & he had no idea who made the top or the body. I don't think the seller ever fitted the hardtop. There is nothing included to attach it to the body at the rear. I emailed the seller back about any missing parts but got no response. There is evidence of some kind of prior attachment behind the seatback but there is no evidence of how to attach anything to the top. I researched & researched & thought that the top came from 'Poptops' in Ca. I contacted them & sent pictures but they said it was not one of theirs. The 'letterbox'
Wheel Tire Car Window Vehicle
Hood Purple Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Rim Fender
Vehicle Hood Car Grille Automotive lighting
window in mine is much larger than they use. Does anyone know how this top was held down? It has the metal studs at the front to slot into the windshield supports but nothing else.

Attachments

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,702 Posts
Have you tried fitting the top yet? If it's close without major rework, something like these may work for you.

Russ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently acquired a 29 Ford Roadster Street Rod. It's registered as a 29 Ford roadster but there isn't a single 29 Ford part on it. F/glass body on 32 rails. It came with a removeable hardtop. The seller wasn't the original builder & he had no idea who made the top or the body. I don't think the seller ever fitted the hardtop. There is nothing included to attach it to the body at the rear. I emailed the seller back about any missing parts but got no response. There is evidence of some kind of prior attachment behind the seatback but there is no evidence of how to attach anything to the top. I researched & researched & thought that the top came from 'Poptops' in Ca. I contacted them & sent pictures but they said it was not one of theirs. The 'letterbox' View attachment 616838 View attachment 616842 View attachment 616843 View attachment 616840 window in mine is much larger than they use. Does anyone know how this top was held down? It has the metal studs at the front to slot into the windshield supports but nothing else.
Have you tried fitting the top yet? If it's close without major rework, something like these may work for you.

Russ
Thanks Russ for the suggestion, someone else suggested those, but I'd like to find out how it was originally held down.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
On top of the body just in back of the door (B pillar) is an eye that sticks up about 1". The top is bolted there and on the windshield. In the case of a soft top the B pillar eyes are the pivot points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On top of the body just in back of the door (B pillar) is an eye that sticks up about 1". The top is bolted there and on the windshield. In the case of a soft top the B pillar eyes are the pivot points.
My body doesn't have that 'eye' you're talking about at the b pillar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts