Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can tell you this much. It won't be easy, but anything worth the time never is!

If you can stuff a SBC or a 4 to 6 cylinder bi-turbo engine into that car, you could blow it apart on top end! The GT version of that car was decent as stock. My good friend caught his on fire one night on the "Hooterville Road" a local highway drag hangout.

That car went up in flames and melted down around the rims and what little metal that had yet to melt. Not a chance in hell of putting out that car. LOL that sunofagun melted like a stick of butter in a Waffle House.

it was one hell of a ruckus. Before the fire department showed up, we estimated that we had emptied just over two 30 cases try to put it out, or slow it down,or whatever... (Really not sure why... It just seemed like the thing to do at the time!

We never realized we would have to explain 60+ beer cans laying in and around what was left of that Fiero. BillyBob JoeLaw wasn't none to easy on the guys in the group who were over 21.

I will never forget it.

·
mr mighty mouse
315 Posts
a nice roller 350 is decent in these cars. id do a mock up with a lightwieght mock up block first though made of plastic or w.e to take the punishment of fitments. only 50 bucks, and save you a bunch of heart ache. i suggest the best way to carry out your plan of V8 swap is to plan ahead. if you do a V8 or v6 just make sure there is a couple rolls of header rap laying around. hate to see it go up in flames

·
Old(s) Fart
6,077 Posts
I've seen a bunch of Fieros with the 3800SC. It's a nice swap. The Northstar is also a nice swap. Try Google, there are a number of websites documenting both. The good news is that neither is the belly-button SBC swap.

If you MUST have a Chebby, consider the FWD version of the LS3. These motors have the 60 degree metric engine bellhousing bolt pattern, making it easy to bolt up to a transaxle.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have had my Fiero for close to 10 years now, 8 of those with the V8

The 84 is a different setup than any other year Fiero. You are going to need to address some of the stock wiring issues but that shouldn't be an issue.

This is not a swap you want to rush. But it has been a lot of fun and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Now the 3800, I wont hate on it because when I have the money and opportunity I will have one of those too.
I just don't have an personal experience on them and will leave that to someone else to fill you in.

Both swaps have their good and bad.

·
Registered
769 Posts
a nice roller 350 is decent in these cars. id do a mock up with a lightwieght mock up block first though made of plastic or w.e to take the punishment of fitments. only 50 bucks, and save you a bunch of heart ache. i suggest the best way to carry out your plan of V8 swap is to plan ahead. if you do a V8 or v6 just make sure there is a couple rolls of header rap laying around. hate to see it go up in flames
I didn't wrap my headers and have been using the car for a DD for a couple of years now. Just saying.
The reason the stock Fiero had fire issues was the weak block and poor oiling. The engine would throw a rod and the oil would spill on the hot Catalytic converter. Boom

Older cars also burned down because the heater fan unit would fill up with debris and the speed control would heat up and catch it on fire. Next thing you know your dash is full of smoke.

Both of these issues also happen to other cars, the key is to keep up with your car. Dont put 20000 miles on between oil changes and check your oil often :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.