Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay...so i was doing my quarter panel yesterday with some filler, left it on overnight, went to start DAing it a bit to get it cut down a little and it seems like it still somewhat soft...not like real soft, but the more thick parts are gumming up the DA pads.....i know this is somewhat normal but in the deeper spots it wouldn't even sand, just got more like gummy and stuff...

its pretty dang cold in my garage so im thinking thats why it hasnt cure enough yet. it gets better as time goes on but still...

could this be the problem? should i add a little more hardener next time? i felt like i added more than enough and i mean its not like its still moist or anything really just not rock hard yet. in the thin spots its like it should be...

anyways, any opinions, let me know.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Over night, dang sure it should be as hard as can be. I am across the bay from you and you can be darn sure I am using a heat lamp to cure my filler these last few weeks. Over night, it got into the thirties in SF didn't it? This filler is "thermocured", it MUST have some heat to cure. The hardener "creates" some, but in this cold weather you need more, more heat, not necessarily more hardener.

You "can" put more hardener in the filler in cold weather. But you can't "make up" for this cold weather with more, not in my opinion.

But that filler that is soft, it needs to come off.

Brian

·
Registered
119 Posts
MARTINSR said:
Over night, dang sure it should be as hard as can be. I am across the bay from you and you can be darn sure I am using a heat lamp to cure my filler these last few weeks. Over night, it got into the thirties in SF didn't it? This filler is "thermocured", it MUST have some heat to cure. The hardener "creates" some, but in this cold weather you need more, more heat, not necessarily more hardener.

You "can" put more hardener in the filler in cold weather. But you can't "make up" for this cold weather with more, not in my opinion.

But that filler that is soft, it needs to come off.

Brian
;) listen to him, he seems to know what he is talking about ;)

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
Get yourself a little propane heater to warm up your working area. Or of course, a heat lamp of some sort. The hair drier, I quess would work but man you are asking a lot of the poor thing. Just get something that will get YOU warm, if it gets YOU warm it will get the panel warm.

Brian

·
Registered
734 Posts
The cold would definitely do it, poorly mixed filler will do this as well...

The outter surface will skim over when left to dry and that skim coating will gum up sandpaper depending..."What grit were you trying to knock this stuff down with?"

If it's gummy underneath and the mix is good - it will harden eventually, but digging it out and redoing it is the best course.

The best localized heat source you can use is an infrared heat source, either from an infrared bulb or filiment type heater. Infrared heating heats the part and not the air...exactly what you need...

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
once filler has failed to harden, it will never harden ... its dead, strip it off and apply new filler

and strip off ALL of that coat , dont pick and choose based on the idea that this or that section looks good / feels good, its not worth the risk

also: if you can get both red and blue hardner for the filler your using, it will help when stuff like this happens, and is also usefull for seeing excatly where you added a 2nd / 3rd coat of filler

also helps for spotting high/ low spots as you work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.