Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at the point of doing some body filler work on my old Chevy. I have some holes in the trunk lid and fenders from trim and emblems that need to be filled. I do not want to weld them permanently in the event I want to use the emblems and trim sometime down the road. I had planned on filling with filler for this paint job but I need a way to backup the filler and keep moisture from getting to the filler. I have some metal adhesive and I was thinking of plugging the holes with a piece of metal and the adhesive. Then go ahead and smooth with filler. Yea or nay. Any other better ideas out there? On the last paint job, the holes were covered with a type of tape and then filler over top. That work must be about 15 years old now. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
i once saw someone w/ the same dilemma come up w/ a novel solution to the problem

he wanted the peace of mind of having his holes welded shut, so he took a piece of brass, gave it a slightly rouned corner, and used it to plug the holes as he welded from the back

the brass wont stick to the weld, and as long as the brass sticks thru the hole just a slight bit, you now have a recess on the outside that you can fill w/ filler now, and then LATER if you redo the car and want to add the trim, the welds on the inside will show you where to sand down and drill from the outside - using the indentation as your guide

1 - 3 of 3 Posts