Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ihave an a/c d/c stick welder.can it be used to weld in panel to fill side marker light hole?what size/type rod?what technique?do not have mig!thanks for your time,jimm

·
Lost in the 60's
15,247 Posts
Your stick welder will be a little too hot even with a small rod to do that job, But you can go down to your local body shop supply store and buy some panel adhesive. It is a two part adhesive that the body shops are using now for panel repair and replacement, I have used it and it is strong. Just be sure that you have the metal ground down and good and clean, no rust or paint. put your filler piece of metal in from the back side clamp it or use a couple of pop rivits to hold it and let adhesive set up, at least 24 hrs. Grind off pop rivits and fill in and smooth out on the outside with some Dyna-glass and you will have it done. You could just mig weld it in , but the beauty of this is it works, it is very strong and you do not have to be concerned about heat warp and distortion.

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: Henry Highrise ]</p>

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
H.H.,that sounds like just the ticket!what about trim holes too small for filler plates?can you use this product too?better than dynaglass?[i didnt want to use that in the small holes unless icouldnt borrow or buy[ugh!]a mig.thanks a mil,jimm

·
Lost in the 60's
15,247 Posts
Jimm What you will be doing basically is glueing on a filler piece from the back side. , then smooth it up and fill in on the front side with dyna-glass. You can fill small trim holes with the dyna-glass again get it clean no rust or paint take a body hammer and peen the hole in a little bit and then fill and resurface with the glass. The panel adhesive is just for glueing your filler pieces. The adhesive that I used was made by 3-M ahd it came in a double barreled cartrige and you use a special caulking gun type applicator , when you squeeze the trigger on the gun it mixes the adhesive properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts