Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hotrodders,
My son and I are planning on painting a Nova he bought in few weeks. I have been looking at all the posting about body work and painting and have gained a pretty good idea on how to get the job done. Reading through the postings I see no mention of any kind of filter on the air hose to the sprayer. The Sharpe model spray gun that I am planning on using comes with a pressure regulator, but no "water catch filter". I thought there would be some need to keep the water from the compressor out of the paint spayer. My question is: Is a filter needed?

·
'Stock' is just wrong!
46 Posts
Yes!

Yes, you need a water-trap. There's nothing worse than a pretty water droplet (looks like the ripples you'd see on a pond when one raindrop hits) on a paint-job that you wouldn't have screwed-up otherwise. Though, I will say, from experience, water droplets do tend to disappear when it fully dries.

Dirt-specs from crap you blew out of an unfiltered gun are a whole 'nother story. There's nothing you can do about a dirt-spec, and from that moment forward you'll always know where that screw-up is.

Save yourself the headache, and put a larger water-trap on the compressor-side of your hose, and buy some disposable 5micron or 10micron screw-on air-filters for the inlet of your gun. Make sure the filter is on the high-pressure side of your regulator. Any jobber that sells paint will carry those disposable filters ($6-10).

-Kustomizer

1 - 2 of 2 Posts