Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of putting my engine together(in car). My oil pan is off and so is my starter. I wanted to wait till last to put my pan and starter back in so my question is this: Is it normal not to be able to feel the compression stroke against your finger if you turn the engine over by hand instead of using the key or bump switch?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,858 Posts
Try a straw. You would have to have some mighty small fingers to feel the compression. :D Dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats not what im looking for. If you put your finger over the plug hole and click the engine over with the distributor disconnected of cours, you WILL feel the compression blow your finger away. I asked, is it normal to not feel anything if you turn the engine over by hand.:spank:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
The easy way is to remove the valve cover on the drivers side and watch the intake valve. Rotate the engine till the intake opens and closes then bring the timing mark up to TDC and you're there.... top dead center on the compression stroke.

Centerline

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
feeling the pressure

You should be able to feel the pressure buildup in the cylinder, when you turn the engine over and have your finger stuck in the spark plug hole, better to cover it with your thumb though.

If you are turning the engine over by hand, its best to have someone else turn the engine over while you have your thumb on the spark plug hole, but as was just mentioned, its more accurate to take off the rocker cover and watch the rocker arms and your timing indicator. With both valves closed, ovserve your timing marks and keep turning til you hit TDC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts