Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally finished my truck thanks to all of those that helped me

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good job! It just goes to show what a little time and research can accomplish. Congratulations!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Question, you used acryllic enamel right? Looks good for acrylic btw... you did not clear coat it? Did you just mix the acryllic with the reducer and the glossy hardener and it came out that nice?

I'm considering painting mine acryllic daytona blue since its cheap and I just wouldnt mind a paint job inplace of primer.. its an same body style truck as yours but its kinda rodded with air ride suspension and so forth....

Thanks for what reply you give me and any other reply willy or BarryK can give me on getting a cheap but better then nothing paint job.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If you give me the exact type of paint, we can play bench chemist with the activator and make the paint a better paint if you want.

I need. brand. exact type of paint.
Other notes, will need type of gun and tip your using and have you sprayed before so we can get right flow.
Also what brands of paint you have access to to help pick out the activator, such as Dupont, Basf, PPG etc.

bwk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I want to spend no more then $250.00 on paint from start to finish if possible. The gun im going to be using is just a generic i dont know the name but its a gravity fed gun. It has adjustable pressure and a water trap.

I am not looking for an SEMA/NOPI paint job ;) If its nice and still holds that nice look in front of it that im happy. I just want it to be a color and glossy/shiny. I know with acryllics you dont have to have clear although there is a clear acryllic.

So based on a $250.00 for paint and the truck will already be in laquer primer, let me know what you think is my best route.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i spent $118 for a gallon of paint a gallon of reducer and a pint of hardener i didnt use a clear. It says mix it 8 parts paint to 1 part reducer and 1 part hardener i found it to spray a little better by adding a little more reducer i used a 1.4 tip when i first srated painting i was scared to hold the gun close and it came out dry but when i did it this last time i mived it in fairly close and sprayed it pretty wet and it came out alot better

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
leastbay said:
i when i first srated painting i was scared to hold the gun close and it came out dry but when i did it this last time i mived it in fairly close and sprayed it pretty wet and it came out alot better
That's actually a pretty good technique! Spray on a first light coat, not too concerned with look - let it tack then spray wetter coats that hold onto the tack coat.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Project87c10 said:
Well I want to spend no more then $250.00 on paint from start to finish if possible. The gun im going to be using is just a generic i dont know the name but its a gravity fed gun. It has adjustable pressure and a water trap.

I am not looking for an SEMA/NOPI paint job ;) If its nice and still holds that nice look in front of it that im happy. I just want it to be a color and glossy/shiny. I know with acryllics you dont have to have clear although there is a clear acryllic.

So based on a $250.00 for paint and the truck will already be in laquer primer, let me know what you think is my best route.
My mistake, I though you were trying to buy cheap paint and making it a great paint.
Anything off the shelf will get you what you want.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i got the grille and light bezels on and i am in the process of lowering it too just gotta finish that first maybe by next week i will have it buffed out and i will post pics

·
Registered
106 Posts
Graet job man, I have one question for you though. I noticed you didn't paint the inside of the bed, are you going to or are you going to line it??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just me, but i would Not paint the inside of my bed. Why have a really nice new paint job on the outside thats just going to get thrown off by having a scratched up bed by the first thing you put back there... im pressure washing mine, sanding with an orbital and an air sanded and spraying mine with undercoasting. It'll look nice and flat black but not the expense of a bed liner. That and my bed it cut due to the air ride suspension.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah im gonna put some kind of coating on my bed not sure what though my buddy has that duplicolor bed liner and the spray nozzle but im not sure if i want to use it i thought about maybe painitng it with por-15 or something or maybe just getting a rhino

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.