Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
here to learn
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of our mechanics hooked up a CNC machining center the wrong way and when he turned it on the electrical panel caught fire. it is about 5000-10000$ worth of damage, but the crappy part is that the customers for that machine were coming this Friday. we also found out that some of our fire extinguishers don't work:spank: .
whats the worst thing that ever happened at your work???

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Everything has a procedure where I work at.The worst thing that would happen is personal injury.We have a great setup,after every unit is removed from the shop,floor is scrubbed and vacumed with a cleaner.All tools put up when done being used for that aprticular job.Safety glasses wore at all times while in the shop..Airlines and electrical cords always up and out of the way.When welding,a fireblanket,sleeves,and gloves are always used.Of course eye protection is a no-brainer.
It seems like a hassle,but the shop I used to work at,I worked on gas and chemical tankers.The guys would smoke,use cutting torches and weld on trailers that still had gas vapors on them.I am lucky to have gotten out of that place alive,to think that in the 5 years I was there dumb luck prevailed.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Worst thing I seen happen at work? I work in a hospital, I see it all.

·
Banned
431 Posts
lets see.........

one time i forgot to take the exhaust probe (whatever you call it) thing out of a car after i did an inspection and pulled the whole machine out of the bay.

there was a guy that was lifting up a van with the door wide open and the door hit the old hose reels on the ceiling and bent the door damn near sideways.

i was lifting up a Southwestern Bell truck that had one of those heavy aftermarket truck bed boxes on it. got it about half way up when the back slipped off the lift and it landed on the rear bumper. didn't hurt anything.

tons more that i can't think of.........

3,214 Posts
Having been a ploice officer, unfortunately I have seen many deaths from gun shots, stabbings, auto accidents, and natural causes. Most everything else after that seems routine.

Barring that, several years ago, while working as a service tech at an Acura dealership, while doing a 30,000 mile service for a waiting customer, I was lowering the car on the lift. It turns out that there was a loose bolt in the area where the tracks for the lift run. The bolt got jammed in the lift mechanism as it was lowering, stopping one side of the 2 post lift. The car shifted on the lift and fell, crushing the driver's door. It was really hard to tell the service manager that he had to explain it to the customer. It was really kind of funny when he came in the shop with a guy from the paintless dent repair company to see if they could fix the crushed door.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
crazy larry said:
last week i had a kid with a fractured trachea come in.:eek:
Yikes!

I once walked into an operating room to assist with a piece of equipment and the guy on the table had all of his limbs broken in a very serious car accident. There was a Dr. working on each limb and the arms were folded behind his neck and the legs were over his shoulders.

He made it believe it or not.

There have been worse, but none that made it. You guys are depressing me.:(

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
the used ciggy bins hanfing on the wall at work used to catch on fire sometimes, and there one of my co-workers had his new-to-him truck on the hoist, and I was lowering it, and the lock on one side wasn't undone, and I was thinking it was just a little stuck, but anyways that truck clung on to the hoist at a 45 degree angle or so. It had Goodyear Wrangler mud tires, the most agressive ones I think.

but I don't work at a dodge dealer anymore. The Hemi was too quiet, especially in the cars.:mad:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Second day on a paint job in a new subdivision I dunked the pickup tube into a bucket of paint and got a turd sucked into my paint sprayer. It made a nice brown stripe on the wall I was painting.

Saw a Mexican fella inject solvent based epoxy into his hand at 3500psi. The same crew had one guy that injected bleach/water into his leg with a pressure washer.

Saw a guy fall off of a 40' ladder into some thick bushes. He barely made it, thanks to the bushes.

Larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.