Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 Formula Firebird with a 78 nose. I dont like the 78 or 79 noses. Nobody seems to know if its possible to switch to an older style, preferably 70-73, but even up to 75. Even if its not an easy switch, can it be done with some body modification? Someone please help me!

·
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor
167 Posts
If memory serves me the early 70's fenders were a little different. But the doors are all the same. You can take the entire front clip off a 70 and bolt it up to an 80.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
'78 and '79 are two different noses. '77 and '78 are the same, '79-'81 are the same. '70-'73 are the same, '74-'76 are the same. '74-'81 noses with swap, you'd have to use the entire front clip to swap anything past '74 with a '70-'73 nose. They stopped making F-bodies, you have a special addition F-body formula, if you do swap out noses keep the original parts in storage just in case they get popular.

HK

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you're going to do that change out the taillight panel as well.Although you could trip people out when they see a '70-73 nose coming at them and a '79 rearend going away.I don't know if those panels are the same size or not,but check it out.Bruce

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know the tailights won't fit.I was wondering if the back tailight PANEL was the same size.Bruce.Or was that what you meant?

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: BruceZ28 ]</p>

·
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor
167 Posts
Thats what I ment Bruce. You can try to modify the rear to make it work. Big job though. I put 80 tail lights in my 78 and it was a job itself. The 78 tail lights were deeper than the 80. And that is only a 2 year difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts