Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Wish I grew up in the 60's
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey i need some help, i have a 1971 el camino 350ci engine. does anyone have a diagram of the firing order (i don't have the original intake manifold with the order on it)? I also have a standard hei distributor from that year, does anyone have a diagram for the firing order of that thing as well? Last question, if you are given the firing order as 34768125 (not a real order) how do you tell which number goes with which plug hole? Any help is appreciated i am trying to get this car moving again. thanks again,
colin.

·
Registered
994 Posts
http://boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_sb.htm

The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 is followed in a clockwise manner around the distributor. It really makes no difference which terminal is #1, as long as it is followed by #8, then #7, etc.
Start by setting the #1 cylinder at TDC in the firing position, then establish which terminal is going to be #1 by installing the distributor. If you have a favorite position ( many prefer the terminal closest to the #1 cylinder ) assure that the rotor is pointing that way when you install the distributor. You may have to adjust the position of the oil drive rod to get the proper engagement at your desired posirion. Assure that the vacuum advance canister isn't going to obstruct the rotation when you need to rotate the body to get your timing correct. After you've established the #1 position, follow the firing order in placing the rest of the wires clockwise around the cap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.