Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:welcome::welcome:hey yall

some background- im a car enthusiast, hence why im on hotrodders. i dream of an AC cobra. ive owned a murdered out blown fox body and a 95 cobra. i like anything custom and go-fast. bikes, quads,etc. i sold off my toys and now only own a truck, 04 f150 4x4 in pull-me-over-red. it spit a plug out and instead of paying 5600$ to fix head i put in a reman 5.4 2v in replace of the 4.6 . it is the ONLY 5.4 2v in a new body electric throttle body truck. many modifications as its the first and only one. still running smooth!!! anyway i love my truck and have put a lot of work into it. youtube intrinity187. im a welder by trade. my truck needs body work. im in the process of fixing wheel well rust. i shaved the tailgate w/ filler plate and bondo. truck is starting to lose its clear coat. i should add i went to poly-tek for autobody so im not totally clueless, but its been over 10 years. im planning on going epoxy white then going from there. maybe keepin it a white or going a red with metallic. ill try to post some pics of progress...:smash:
ive been watching a lot of kevin tate on youtube to build of my confidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Ob9eB-2V0 -my truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OT-HBIGqQY

i have a few questions-:confused:

1# what kind of air filters are you running on air compressor?
im planning on drip inline filters 15ft in, then 50ft(spool) later a disposable inline filter on gun. is this adequate?
considering disposile devilbiss snake or this dual stage desiccant-
3/8" Desiccant Dryer with Oil Removal Filter

2# Im running a 3hp 9.8 cfm @40psi with the HF purple jobbie.
looking at Devilbiss startingline 13cfm or possible evolution 12cfm or EW concours 4cfm. will this suffice

3# Should i go with summit single stage or a BC/CC system? id like to go metallic but it might be much for my first spray???

ill try to post some progress pics

·
Automotive Extraordinaire
1,278 Posts
The more water traps and filters you can afford, the better, especially if you live in the south like me and fight humidity.

You honestly need a bigger compressor, unless you plan to paint a panel and wait for the compressor to catch up (I use a 5Hp, 220volt 15 CFM for painting, and really it is barely adequate).

I don't know much about any of the guns you mentioned, but anything has to be better than the HF $10 special. You may want to check ebay for a quality gun in the same price range as the ones you mentioned.

Again, I really know nothing about the Summit paint (or even who makes it for them), but if you are going a solid color, single stage would be an option, if going metallic or pearl, BC/CC is the only way to go (I personally prefer BC/CC for all colors, just my preference). With the SS in metallics, you have the possibility of disturbing the metallic when you sand and buff, you would not have this with BC/CC because the color/metallics are buried under the clear coat.

I personally (as well as most other professionals on this board) highly recommend you take a look at SPI (southernpolyurethanes.com) for epoxy primer, as well as other products.

All purely my opinions, best wishes with the project:thumbup:

Kelly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
follow up

thanks for the reply kelly, its nice to have a some professional advice.

im deathly afraid of seeing fish eyes staring back at me, so im trying to prep myself as much as possible. hopefully this is adequte-
http://www.amazon.com/line-Compressor-Filter-Regulator-Water/dp/B00CWKTAV6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438094521&sr=8-7&keywords=air+filter+regulator
and-
http://www.amazon.com/2pc-Disposable-Air-Line-Filter/dp/B000PRWJ9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438094672&sr=8-1&keywords=disposable+air+filter+inline

a new compressor is not in the cards, so im prolly gonna have to go with a LVLP gun(astro evo) or the eastwood concours HVLP @ 4cfm.
Eastwood Concours Spray Guns

a BC/CC system is a good recommendation along with using SPI products. SPI seems pretty popular around here.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
SPI is popular here because it is a good product and it is consistent in its quality so we know what we are getting when we open a can.. Means a lot to a painter. As far as the rest of it look at the info on metal working and using the shrinking disk to get it as straight as you can before doing any painting other than some epoxy primer. When that is done then lets work on the painting..

Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shrinking disk, never even seen one of them before. i could have used that before i put a pound of bodyfiller in. when i tacked in the filler plate, i used 1/8 rods(all i had) witch warped the crap out of the tailgate sheet metal. learning curve on that one, im use to industrial welding. so i ended up beating down the high spots. it wasnt pretty.

after a lot of sanding and bondo, i got it pretty well feathered in. it feels smooth to the touch. started with a DA witch took a dump in short order then all block. in process of setting up spray booth.

ordered-
paint mixing kit cups-filters-sticks
those amazon air filters mentioned
3m respirator
new 6" DA with pads

going with Summit paint as the SPI costs almost double;
57.99 gallon white epoxy + 39.99 gallon catalyst = Summit
91.34 + 91.34 = SPI
Summit seems to have solid reviews and is more geared towards DYI ers.
ill defiantly consider SPI if i ever do a more high end paint job.

still debating on the Astro evo or the eastwood concours for the base/clear.:boxing:
Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic Tool EVO4014 1.4 mm LVLP Gravity Feed Gun: Home Improvement
Concours LT HVLP Paint Gun 1.3mm Nozzle
both are low CFM, im leaning towards the Concours HVLP

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow up

so Summit Racing wouldnt send to me in dirtay jersey:)evil:police state:evil:)!!!!

I ended up buying through Eastwood. Paint was even cheaper too. :)
im happy to support them as they are local (pa) and i enjoy thier how-to videos. thier products all seem to be solid and they also seem to have good customer support.

i ordered the eastwood concours gun, its designed for low cfm and its a HVLP.

if anybody knows what else i need for spray id love to hear it. i ordered prep spray and tack clothes. i have to go back to work in a month(broken leg), so i need it done by then.

right now i got tailgate sanded to 320grit. ready for paint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Thank you for your order from The Eastwood Company.

Due to a fire, Eastwood’s warehouse operations are temporarily delayed in shipping orders. We are assessing the situation and working hard to be fully back in operation, as soon as possible. We will provide shipping updates on your order, as they become available. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] and we will respond as soon as we can. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for being an Eastwood customer.

Once your package ships we will send an email with a link to track your order. You can check the status of your order by logging into your account. If you have any questions about your order please contact us at [email protected] or call us at (800) 345-1178 Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 7:00pm EST.

Your order confirmation is below. Thank you again for your business.

Your Friends at:
The Eastwood Company
263 Shoemaker Road
Pottstown, PA 19464"

really??? gives me more time to finish bodywork....
#glasshalffullilldrinkit

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have one of those HF purple guns also but I only used it to spray primer, it'll work good for that. Get a better quality gun for BC & CC. If you want to aviod fish eyes when your done spraying primer, done compleatly, throw away any an all mixing cups,stir sticks, anything that was involved with epoxy primer, throw it away. That's why I used a separate gun for primer. Another thing is use a long sanding board, around 18" long, short ones don't well on large flat surfaces. Get that Norton sand paper that comes in a roll, yellow in color, sticky on the back, 150 gr. & 320 gr.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts