Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought this may be of interest to you. Jim Jackson is a member on here that does not post. last spring he emailed me and we talked on the phone often as he built his 34. Today was the first day I meant him and saw his car (he would not let me see it, till it was ready to drive). Jim is retired and built this car from ground up including the soft leather interior and 440
hp engine in his garage at home. The car was painted in pieces in his driveway with a paint booth made out of vis-queen.
Even the frame is buffed. There is no flaws to be found and the detail work is better than a 34 I just saw that cost $105,000 to complete.
This is Jim's first paint job and interior job and look at the door detail. This car would place top five in any national show.
Goes to show, if you want to you can.
Its sad that when I took the picture today there was no sun as picture does not do the car justice.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why Not????

Let me tell you how this guy did it.
He called Visions (frame People) with questions up the ya-zoo and spent a lot of time with Billet (bet theres $10,000 of billet on this thing)
And he spent 100 of hours on phone with me as he went through the paint process.
So he did not know, but he was not afraid to ask!

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
Very Nice. Hey Barry whats your phone number?lol It's always nice to see professional work coming out of someones own garage, I guess it's true that if you just put your mind to it you can accomplish almost anything.

Tell Jim Jackson to start posting, he would a nice addition to the club and would be a great candidate for the Hot Rod of the Month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
VERY nice car!
Id like to see some side shots if & when you get them!

I was never really into these kind of hot rods but since I joined this forum Ive come to appreciate them big time!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
adtkart said:
What a great looking car. And to think it was done by someone that is retired. I don't know how he found the time to do it all. Most people that I know that are retired don't have time to do much of anything like that. They're too busy. LOL

Retired for long? I know from talking with Jim on the phone he was out there every day at 5:30 working 7 days a week, he made short order of this thing. He may not be retired long as once I got to meet him, he said he has had a number of people around Birmingham area have ask to hire him to do their interior work.
For a first interior job, its unbelievable the talent of this guy, he even cut the foam for the seat to fit him! Its a major feat for me to remove an ashtray!
A new career starts!
Barry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks for the kudos!!!

Thanks for all the positive comments on my car. I'm very pleased with the compleated project. This was a bit larger project than I envisioned when decided to build this car from the ground up. I thought four or five months and it would be done...... Turned out to be 15 months. 60 to 70 hour weeks.

The body was sanded, primed, and topcoated, and buffed in pieces and then assembled. If anyone is interested I'll post the details of the complete paint process and steps that I used and all the products. I'll give you a hint!!! Southern Polyurethane. I discovered SP about a year ago when I visited one of the top custom rod shops in the south and was blown away with the finish on a car they had just compleated. When I talked with the painter he gave me an SP brochure and the rest is history.

I also have to say that this forum, while I haven't posted much, I browse every day and all of the boards have been a great help to me during the building of this car. Thanks to all of you who have the knowledge and are willing to share that knowledge with others who may be in need of just a small amount of help.

Jim

·
Registered
181 Posts
The wheels are Billet Specialties , Vintec's with knock-offs. Front tires are 205/55R15 , the rears are: 255/70R15 all are Goodrich TA Radials. Billet Specialties has nothing but high quality products and they stand behind everything they sell. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Holy Crap...

HOLY CRAP!!! this car is AMAZING!!! i cant wait to learn how to do interior work!!! anyone want to help me get started? seriously...please!!! thanks guy,

~Tack

1 - 20 of 34 Posts