Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1956 chev 1300 (longbox 1/2 ton)
I have purchased Flatout engineering corvette crossmember and rear install kit for C4 suspension, I have a clean 93 c4 front and rear susp.
I have arranged to purchase from a friend 1983 c10 suburban rust bucket with a newer gm goodwrench 350/auto. Question is what tranny is in the Suburban (he is overseas) and what would be required to use his tilt column??
Spent all my money on the first 3 parts?

Thanx.

Apparently the tranny is original and the shift window indicates 3 speed automatic "overdrive"

·
Registered
452 Posts
It sounds like you are in business.

I'd pull the column out of the doner truck and then start measuring. The big rub may be with the ignition switch. some guys like them on the column some don't.

If you still have the original column in the 56 measure the distance the rim is from the dash and measure how far the column sticks up from the dash.
From experience if the wheel isn't in the right position the truck will be uncomfortable to drive over any distance.

Will the shift lever clear the dash? Basically you need to check to see how it works on both ends as you have to have the lever for the shifter have room to work on the bottom end.
Without going to the aftermarket columns, a column out of an 80 something Chevy van still has the ign switch in the dash and is pretty clean looking, it also has the indicator on the column. Not hard to find in the wrecking yards and you can probably craigslist your column for enough to pick one up. Those were the hotlick thing to use before the aftermarket guys came into play.

It sounds like you have the start of one nice truck going, It's time to start a journal to keep us updated on progress :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.