Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to spray primer for the first time. I'm going to start with a small part to get the hang of it first.

I am going to be epoxy primering the door jamb areas, so I can install the doors for alignment.

Here is a list of the equipment I bought:
1. Husky 19 Gallon, 125psi Air Compressor
2. DEVILBISS HVLP SPRAY GUN SYSTEM with 1.3mm and 1.88mm tips. Also with Air Regulator.
3. Air Regulator with clear moisture catcher.

Epoxy Primer is from Velspar.

My questions are:

1. Is this the correct order to use the equipment?
Compressor, Hose, Regulator w/moisture catcher, Air Regulator, Spray Gun.

I'm going to practice on some cardboard first, but want to make sure I have the regulator w/ moisture catcher in the right place.

Any tips for a beginner on adjusting pressure on the gun would be helpful too.

2. How much primer should I use to spray both door jamb, door sill, and door hinge area? I don't want to mix too much and waste it. Need some help to guesstimate how much I'll need. Car is 1965 Mustang.

3. Spraying steps i plan to use.
First, light coat. Wait 5 minutes and spray again a little heavier. Wait 5 minutes again and spray last coat. Is this ok?

I appreciate your guys help on this.

·
Registered
306 Posts
get your self an eggtimer. flash times are like 15 mintues... the equipment sounds right. u wont need much for those spots mix up a 1 to 1 mix so take and put primer in to the #2 line on the mixing cup then add the hardener to the #4 line that should be plenty spray on one coat, wait 15 minutes and spray second coat not to thick light coats are better. practice first to adjust the gun do have a pressure gauge on the gun? that should be set at 27-30 lbs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.