Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has a Fish aquarium with fish? My wife and I took the kids to a pumpkin festival a couple weekends ago, and the kids won Goldfish there.

Well one thing led to another, first we bought two, one gallon fish bowls to keep the Goldfish in, then talked to a pet store and they said these goldfish needed a larger tank.

From there we bought a five gallon tank, and the fish was/is doing much better, but one fish seems to want too fight or ram into the other, talked to another "fish" pet store and they said still to small of a tank.

So we bought a thirty gallon tank and I am now in the process of building it into the wall of my house.

That my story, so here is my question.

What type of fresh water fish do you guys have and what type have the best chance of survival? I would like the most colorful of fish

PS. on a side note I just got a 55 gallon tank that I think I will set up in the waiting room of my repair shop, so if you could suggest fish for this tank also I would be grateful.

Steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
What type of fresh water fish do you guys have and what type have the best chance of survival? I would like the most colorful of fish
It's hard to beat Goldfish. Feed them once a day with some food and they will last for years. I had some goldfish that were around for about 8-10 years. They started out as the cheap feeder gold fish(about 1 inch), but over that time they grew too about 8 inches. They only problem with him is that when we got new feeder gold fish he ate them.

The more colourful the more money and the more time and the more equipment they take. Gold fish are almost maintenance free with the proper setup. Feed daily and change the filter every couple of months.( Just like a car) So they would be good for a shop. And at a price of about $10 for 20 fish you can't beat that.

John

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about the Goldfish, (I had them as a kid) but the Goldfish is like the Ford Taurus of cars, very plain and not great to look at. Don't forget we are hot rodders, we like flash, and bright colors, if I could I would have a fish with flames on its side, and we spend more money on said bright color and flash then we should, so why should fish be any different. :D

Of course we will have the two original Gold fish that started all of this fish tank nonsense... My five your old daughter is making sure of that...

If I thought I could manage a salt water tank I would go that route, but I hear they are hard to keep alive, so for now I will stick with the fresh water.

Steve

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
You should get those gold fish a piranha. :D
Gourami's are fresh water and they have really nice color, but they are tough to keep alive.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
You shoulda just flushed those goldfish.............................Look at the mess it lead to........ :nono:

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
For the longest time, I had a few zebra fish and glass fish in the same tank, they are not big but seemed to be plenty hearty and entertaining to watch. I think I had them about two or three years before they started to keel over. Also, an algae sucker is nice to have, kinda ugly but they serve a purpose. Some of those can get huge.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
We had a bunch of Rasbora's and neon Tetra's, a few gaurami's, a couple sucker's, and one Betta in our tank. The last fish that the cat got was one Rasbora that was almost 4 inches long. The tank was then emptied, and has been for 3 years. Fish, well, at least we don't need to walk them.......

In a while, Chet.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
1ownerT said:
You should get those gold fish a piranha. :D
Gourami's are fresh water and they have really nice color, but they are tough to keep alive.
I still have my same Gouramis that I started with four years ago (very hardy fish that will keep tickin' when other fish are dying) when my boys won goldfish at the fair (which died shortly after wards)......... :p

Now I have a 55 gallon tank with about thirty fish, twenty or so are little cori catfish that like to breed like rabbits if I keep the water just right. :pain:

Get yourself a Plecostomus (sp?), they'll keep the glass nice and clean. Drop a couple algae pellets in once or twice a week until the aquarium is "established" and able to grow a sufficient amount of algae for'em to survive. You may wish to continue doing this anyways to ensure you don't find your pleco "sleeping" from starvation.

Don't throw medicine at'em at every little sign of illness. Those people at the pet stores make money by selling you stuff you don't need. Mela-fix is an herbal remedy that does work and doesn't have any ill side effects except for it's smell which is kinda like cough drops (kinda).

Be careful where you buy your fish, sometimes they carry disease. Some shops are more picky than others as to who they buy there fish from. This is especially true for plants believe it or not. I'm still fighting these little snails that I got by surprise with a plant that I bought over a year ago!

Start out with inexpensive fish and then when you can keep'em alive, go for the high dollar pretty ones.

I mainly watch the ph level in my tank, my nitrates etc. stay fine with regular partial water and filter changes. There's stuff called Bullseye 7.0 that is very easy to use, you just dump it in and you're done.

I'm no fish expert, but I haven't lost, or had a fish emergency for over two years now. And you wouldn't believe it by looking at my tank sometimes. :drunk: :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's a few other fish guys on here too. :thumbup:

I did most of my research on the web, tons of valuable info out there. :cool:

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
i'm a fish FREAK MAN!!!
gold fish are indestructable. but el'lamo'. didn't know i spoke el espanoil did y'all?

i think you just stick with the garden variety gourmies like above for a year or two. corys are cool.

i have discuses. discii? clown loaches. had black ghosts too but now have a big clown knife that eats goldfish. not good i found out, see, after years, i'm still learning, like hotrodding. that gold fish have lots of parasites that may attack the others so i put them in salt water for a half hour first. seems to work but no guarantee. at $25 a fish the discus are spendy but you can pay double. i have a importer in seattle i get 4 or 5 for $100-$125. they live about five years and croak on me. i need a bigger tank too, am checking with craigs list soon. they are alittle time consuming. discus require 1/3 water changes every two or three days. so you have to have tap water i think that they liike or else you might as well punt. clown loaches are easy to keep just don't treat ich with anything else besides CopperSafe or it will killem. clown loaches rock. you need about 5 or 6 or more, like discus, they like to school. anyway, i gotta drink my rum and coke now. glad someone else here has fish! my discus are awesome, they look like salt water angel fish but even more colorful. when you get confident i will tell you to go to macsdiscus.com and look at all the different kinds on his website. latah!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
if I could I would have a fish with flames on its side, and we spend more money on said bright color and flash then we should, so why should fish be any different.

Just post this over in the body and paint forum.Some water proof paint,an air brush...................fish with flames I like it. :thumbup:

·
Flamethrower
339 Posts
No kidding. At laest dno't splel lkie ttah...

I have not hae fish in a while. I remember trying some Angel Fish of sorts (don't remember what type). They died six months later... Didn't look so good near the end.

The algea pellets make good sense in a new or cleaner tank, I used them to keep my pselacostomas (sucker thingy, you know the one) happy after I cleaned the glass.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have always liked fish, until now I have not thought about getting a tank set up, both of my kids are very excited about the idea of fish. I do like the more colorful fish, so I think once I get the tanks set up, I will go to a fish store and pick out a few. Bullheimer, I do like the looks of the clown loaches, but it looks like they get big. Are they any fish I should not mix with others? I would like a variety of fish in the 55 gallon tank.

Like I said we will have a 30 gallon tank at home. How many fish can go into a 30 gallon tank?

Then I will set up a 55 gallon here at the shop.

I have looked at the big 175+ gallon tanks and if everything goes well with these smaller set ups, I think when the house is finished I will get a big tank.

Did i say that this "built into the wall" tank is only temporary? Once the main floor is renovated that will change, I think the "big" tank will go under the stair way in the living room. I will post some pictures of the "built in tank" once its up and running.

Thanks again.

Steve

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
I've been raising angelfish for over 25 yrs, I supply several of my local
pet stores. It's another hobby I take to extreme (LOL)
With goldfish, or any large fish, you need to make sure you have good
filtration and do partials on a regular basis. That's the secret to success.

Right now I have a 125 gal tank and it's true, the larger the tank the easier
it is to care for. Go big!!!
The better filters are to big for anything under 55 gal.
55 is probably the most for the money.
For quantity, a good rule of thumb, 1 inch of fish per gallon,
Like a 55 gal would be good for (25) 2" long fish, or (50) 1" long.

Here's a good forum for help.
http://www.awforum.net/
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a good looking fish also.

How big do they get? I don't think I want any fish that gets bigger than 4" or so.

Looking online for info about the angelfish, it looks like they are many different colors and species of this fish to chose from. You say they are a relatively easy fish to care for? I hope so because this will be my first attempt at a fish tank, I would hate to harm the fish.

Steve

·
Tow Chainer
245 Posts
On big tanks. Don't underestimate the weight of water. I have a 235 with sump /filter, stand and all probably weighs 2000#. A 135 in just water will weigh in at just over 1000#. I have 3 house jack stands under mine to support it.

In this tank I have 3 fish, A pair of Pike Ciclids from south amarica about 15" each, and a pleco about 24" long. He's an old monster.

I've also got 3 smaller tanks.

75 gallon with some angels and Kribnesis.
30 gallon guppy and variatas
10 gallon swordtails.

If I was buying a new home and planning on my aquarium I would look at reinforced floor or putting it on a cement floor, but with the jacks my old victorian holds it ok.

Gold fish are nice as they do not need heat. And domestic fish like sunfish and bluegills can be cool in an aquarium also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts