Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am trying to get some info on how difficult (and expensive) it would be to put a new transmission in a 1965 fleetside longbed. It currently has the stock 4 on the floor and I'd like to swap it out for something will let me go over 65 without redlining the motor. From the limited amount of research I've done, I think the T-56 would be a great tranny, but if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm more than willing to listen. It would be mated up to a 400ci that I plan to have put out around 425 hp and 450 tq. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
Hello everyone! I am trying to get some info on how difficult (and expensive) it would be to put a new transmission in a 1965 fleetside longbed. It currently has the stock 4 on the floor and I'd like to swap it out for something will let me go over 65 without redlining the motor. From the limited amount of research I've done, I think the T-56 would be a great tranny, but if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm more than willing to listen. It would be mated up to a 400ci that I plan to have put out around 425 hp and 450 tq. Thanks!
The T56 is basically a 4 speed with 2 overdrive ratios. If you're running a super stiff rear axle ratio this will make the engine RPMs a lot more livable on the highway. It's plenty beefy enough for a truck.

Bogie

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
several ways to do this.

A single overdrive would be fine; so I'd recommend a TKO or a LGT-700. For the TKO, Id start with the 2.87 1st gear and a 3.55 rear gear, with the .80 OD. The LGT has a 2.66 1st and a .7x OD; so you'd want to use a 3.70 rear gear.

There was a single overdrive 4 spd used in the half ton trucks. It was a joint venture by GM and Chrysler. New Process 833 OD for a chevy application. It has the same ratios as a 700r4 essentially. Its factory shifter is a Hurst shifter and its designed to fit in a pick up truck. The GM RPO Code is MY6. If its just for street driving, I bet you could do an MY6 for very short money.

Passon Performance in PA builds em for the chrysler guys and was buying up the GMs as cores; he'd probably put together a good package for you. He's one of the best 833 guys out there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thanks for the quick responses! I wasn't necessarily looking for the two overdrive gears, I just didn't what else was available in terms of stout manual transmissions that will fit. It probably already shows, but I'm new to this. I just want to make sure that I don't spend a ton of money on something and then not have it work for my application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.